Unanswered: Using the dbccdb vs. not using the dbccdb, what are the PROS and CONS?

What are the PROS and CONS of using the dbccdb vs. not using the dbccdb?

Isn't the standard "dbcc checkdb", "dbcc checkalloc" and "dbcc checkcatalog" enough?

Are there any advantages to using the dbccdb and the "dbcc checkstorage" over the above standard commands?

Using the dbccdb and checkstorage just seems like another database we have to maintenance and maintain. I currently don't see the benefit of using it. Setting it up is a pain and then maintaining is no walk in the park either.

By the way... the reason I ask is because we are using the dbccdb. It is corrupted big time. From what I read, it is recommended that we should drop and recreate. I want to do this, but my team is asking if it is important to save the historical data. I don't believe so, but not 100% that if I'm shooting from the hip on this one. What are your thoughts? Is the dbccdb historical data needed? Do we really need to use the dbccdb?

Thank you.

dbcc checkstorage and ..... Checks allocation of text valued columns

I'm thinking of throwing out the dbccdb with the old bath water and replacing it with the standard dbcc checks (checkdb, checkalloc and checkcatalog). The only thing that has me scratching my head is the below metrix.

How important is checkstorage and "Checks allocation of text valued columns"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checks allocation of text valued columns

Checks performed checkstorage checktable checkdb checkalloc indexalloc tablealloc checkcatalog

Checks allocation of text valued columns X

Checks index consistency X X

Checks index sort order X X

Checks OAM page entries X X X X X

Checks page allocation X X X X

Checks page consistency X X X

Checks pointer consistency X X X

Checks system tables X

Checks text column chains X X X X

Checks text valued columns X X X