Unanswered: [newbie] Can I avoid this subquery... and do I need to?

I want to select all users not beloning to a certain usergroup, OR not being in the usergroup-table at all. I have the following query which does exactly that:

($usergroup is the group where I want to see users from that are NOT in it)

Code:
    SELECT	*
    FROM		`users`
    WHERE	`users`.`userid`
    NOT IN (SELECT `users`.`userid` FROM `usergroups` WHERE `usergroups`.`groupid` = '".$usergroup."')
    I'm pretty new at this and I'm not sure if the above query is the smart way of doing this.

Code:
    SELECT users.*
      FROM users
    LEFT OUTER
      JOIN usergroups
        ON usergroups.userid = users.id
       AND usergroups.groupid = $usergroup
     WHERE usergroups.userid IS NULL
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thanks r937. Can you tell me which of the two is the preffered way? Is there any difference at all?

if i offer an opinion about a preference, it would only be my personal opinion

best would be for you to test both and decide which you prefer

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I found no difference in execution time with my current (small) test data, next week I get all the data that is supposed to go in the database, so I will give it a shot then.

But I do value your personal opinion, because in my situation I have no collegues or friends who are busy with this kind of thing, so I can never have a true exchange of ideas, a conversation. I usually read tutorials, but they also reflect the author's opinion. Many times I come across a different tutorial that has a different view, and for now I lack the insight to judge which of the tutorials would be the best.

from what I've read on various forums, the outer join is supposed to perform more quickly than the subquery.