Unanswered: Quick question - is this possible???

Very quickly, before I dream of the impossible... not a huge technie!

Would it be possible to 'feed' an Access db from Outlook based on the subject line of an email?

If email subject line included *CoName xyz (where *CoName is a field in db) could this update a field in a db.

Purpose would be to track the number of changes to specific URLs which trigger an email alert (subject *CoName as above)...

Db would house the total number of changes to a specific URL based on email alerts.

Is this possible, is this a goer or a nightmare.

Thanks for any initial thoughts.
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk
    Fortune Global 500 Databank

I don't know if you can get Outlook to feed Access, but you can definately get Access to eat from Outlook.

Access can go through an Outlook folder, filter emails and use different parts of the emails (in this case the Subject).

absolutely YES.
    i have a few dozen users sucking data from Outlook mail attachments every day of the year: big-A scours a defined folder for a defined mail subject and hoovers up the data, then renames (?? re-subjects ??) the mail so it is not re-hoovered the next time.
    perfectly do-able, but trivial-not.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Thanks for the tips, I've managed to feed or eat easily enough.

Just wanted to know the next steps if I could try and explain what I want do next....

I want to build a table of entries with a unique co identifier such as *PEN00001234, their URL and a running sum of the number of times that co's website is updated.....

Every time a website is updated I get a track change email with a subject line of *PEN00001234 this site has changed content or some such message. Each subject would have the *PEN00001234 to relate back to the entries with their unique ref...

What I would want then is to feed/eat the emails into the table so that there is a running sum of the number of times *PEN00001234 had been updated and ideally also house the email within that table.

How easy would it be to suck this info across, having imported the emails into the relevant entry in the table.

Many thanks for your help as ever.
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk

I think I would have some of the technical skills to do this, have been tinkering a bit.... (maybe I am being optimitic as to my limited skills!)

1) can import emails no probs
    2) can build table with co unique ref based on eg *PEN 0009000552

BUT what I struggle with is linking the subject "*PEN 0009000552 has been updated" to *PEN 0009000552. How can I link based on the first 15 characters (*PEN 0009000552) and not the rest of the subject blurb?

Any tips very much appreciated.

Thanks
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pachamama
    I think I would have some of the technical skills to do this, have been tinkering a bit.... (maybe I am being optimitic as to my limited skills!)

1) can import emails no probs
    2) can build table with co unique ref based on eg *PEN 0009000552

BUT what I struggle with is linking the subject "*PEN 0009000552 has been updated" to *PEN 0009000552. How can I link based on the first 15 characters (*PEN 0009000552) and not the rest of the subject blurb?

Any tips very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Perhaps grab the 1st 15 characters using LEFT????
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 10
    Basically you need to work out the consistancies in the format.
    You may not wish to grab the first 15.
    Fore example; if you have "PEN 005050 has been updated" you might only want "PEN 005050" - grab the first 2 words.
    This can done with some slightly harder trickery but never the less it is very possible.

If you can think of a logical rule to apply to the subject then you can write code to get the result for you remember: computers are stupid.
    George
    Home | Blog

Thanks georgev, never meant to tick people off, thanks for the tip, will get my little brain round the programming notion but also remember computers are stupid, that makes me stupider sadly
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk

thanks also M Owen, will have a look at the LEFT???? notion, will google it and see if I can find the logic
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk

Provided Answers: 10
    Who did you tick off?
    Apologies if I gave the wrong impression; I was just throwing an alternative out there in case you didn't always want the first 15 characters.
    George
    Home | Blog