Thread: Stop Code

Unanswered: Stop Code

I'm in the development stage of a database, and I'm using some large For loops and while loops, my question is this:
    If I accidentally get stuck in an infinite loop, is there a key combo or something (besides ctl+alt+del and end task) that will allow me to stop the code from processing?
    Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 6
    Ctrl-Break
    Paul

Thanks for that, i new it was something easy like that
    Me.Geek = True

Yep -that is nice.

I sometimes put in a debug.print of the value I am testing in the loop and a check of the number of loops. If number of loops > some figure that can only occur if Things Go Wrong then exit loop. This code is then removed once I have sorted out my logic. The print to immediate window can help debug the code. Of course, this is only really worth the effort if you have something complex going on and you are struggling to pin down the problem and so are regularly hitting infinite loops (we have all been there....and um... continue to find ourselves there ).
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Nice idea. I'm boneheaded and fairly often forgot the MoveNext when I wrote loops, so I'm a big user of code templates now. When I need one I just drop in one for "DAO Recordset with Loop" which I built with the MoveNext already in it. Saves a lot of head banging against keyboard.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy
    [I] often forgot the MoveNext when I wrote loops
    Lol - yes. After a few years of wondering wtf have I done this time I now make the movenext line the very first thing I write as soon as I start a recordset loop.

Are you able to assign keyboard shortcuts or something similar to those? I do for T-SQL in SQL Server now (I cannot tell you how many typing hours I have saved). I would love the same in VBA.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

I use MZ Tools (free), in particular the error handling template and code templates, available with a right-click in VBA:

http://www.mztools.com/index.htm

Them and Smart Indenter I couldn't live without. Well, I could, but I wouldn't enjoy it.

How did you do that in SQL Server?
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy
    How did you do that in SQL Server?
    SQLPrompt (or PromptSQL - can't remember the rebranded name). $10 for the first version, free for the second, $195 for the third. Bought out by red-gate:
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Prompt/index.htm

Basically intellisense for SQL Server. Really useful - the snippets (as they call them) are the icing on the cake. Just don't accidently hit the "set to default" button after you have lovingly crafted 30 snippets and not backed them up

I will look up MZ Tools - thank you
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Provided Answers: 10
    I personaly use something called "ShortKeys Lite" which is the free version or ShortKeys (funnily enough). It's a very basic program that you can assign shortcuts to write out text.

The one that always gets me is the Fetch Next in SQL Server
    Damn this loop is taking it's time...
    (1 hours later)
    Damn this loop is taking it's time...
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 19
    MZTool and Smart Indenter sounds very cool, Paul! Thanks for the tip!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks for the tips guys. I just ended up watching a couple variables as I F8'd my way through the code in debug mode, it worked.
    Me.Geek = True