Unanswered: SQL 2005 Express resources

Will I am running SQL 2005 Express on windows 2003 sp1 with a P4 3.4Gh (with hyperthreading), 2GB ECC RAM.
    I am running software that connects to SQL and reads/saves data.
    One of the programs which is CPU hungry manages data and the other manages the SQL connection and reads/saves the data.

My problem is that I am recieving an error that usually means connection to SQL is lost, this tends to be because the CPU hungry application is denying SQL from functioning.

However the annoying thing is the CPU use rarely passes 45% and in a another test environment never passed 5%. RAM is the same, consumption is less than 35%.

Please advise
    Thanks a lot!

Provided Answers: 6
    I know the predecessor to SQL Express, the MSDE would shut off once the last connection to it terminated. That might be an alternative theory. I am unsure SQL Express does this as well.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Well as far as I know the connection stays active while the app is running

Im wondering if it is anything to do with the CPU hyperthreadding or not having service pack 2?

Cheers

Well I upgeaded to sp2 and it didnt help

Are there any performance problems with hyperthreaded CPUs?