Limiting join-matches to first match

I have a query between two tables, one is an imported table, and the other a fixed product database.

With a query I match the imported tables product name with the one in our product database, usually resulting in multiple matches per product, and eventually a mile long match list.

What I'd like is for the query to rerutn just one match per product, as many of the similar named products in the product database are in fact completely alike, set aise minor differences like table finish, chair cloth color etc. etc.

Essentially the list simply works to tell the salesperson if the warehouse requested are available in at least one color, finish, model etc. etc. based on the form filled out by the customer. So, I only need that 1 match. Its not very precise, but enough to give the order an initial green light.

Cheers, Trin
    IT squid: networks, servers, firewalls, routers and I dabble a little with SQL-server and Access as well....

Take a look at GROUP BY in SQL
    http://w3schools.com/sql/sql_groupby.asp
    Eg:
    Code:
    people
    firstname lastname age
    george smith 24
    george smith 19
    geoff smith 33
    john smith 85

SELECT firstname, lastname
    FROM people
    GROUP BY firstname, lastname

Results:
    george smith
    geoff smith
    john smith
    George
    Home | Blog

I was aware of the Group By clause, but not that it had a First() operator. Brilliant!
    IT squid: networks, servers, firewalls, routers and I dabble a little with SQL-server and Access as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Trinsan
    I was aware of the Group By clause, but not that it had a First() operator. Brilliant!
    It does? Fancy posting a link - I want a read!
    George
    Home | Blog

Knock yourself out -LINKY. (Aggregate functions)

Not supported in 2k - that might be why I've not come across it yet
    Thanks for that - it's going to be a very useful one to add to the arsenal!
    George
    Home | Blog

Exactly the same here. I've been used to 97/2000 for a long while. Only last year went 2003, and I've barely started and going 2007 already.

Then again, I should've known about it, since I do SQL-Server too.