Unanswered: Order Management - Product Sizes Help!

Hi,

I am creating an order management database for a clothing business. I need to know how to bring up different size scales for different clothing types.

I have 4-5 sizing scales all referenced by a letter A-E.
    A = S, M, L, XL
    B = 34, 36, 38, 40
    etc etc.

I have a field in the product table which is SizeReferenceID. Question is how do i get the size scale to change upon the sizereference being entered.

Obviously one order will have many rows with different products on, e.g. shorts and jumpers, but they have different size scales!

Thanks for your time and help

Jonny

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyd
    ...Question is how do i get the size scale to change upon the sizereference being entered....
    Jonny

sorry don't understand
    do you mean that all 5 sizing scales are equivalents

ie if you set scale A value.. then B..E shoudl also be set automatically
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I am not sure how to model this.

Basically i have the orders table which links to order details which links to product details with all product information and a SizeReferenceID Attribute.

At the moment that is related to a Size table which has A, B, C, D, E - all as primary keys which were then linking to...

seperate tables for each size reference, i.e.
    Seperate A table would have; S, M, L, XL, XXL (for say T-Shirts)
    Seperate B table would have; 34, 36, 38, 40 (trousers)
    Seperate C table would have; 60,64, 68, 72 (misc)

Now. When an order is placed, we need to enter the product details all on one row and enter the quantities of each size ordered. However, if the product that is being enetered is a T-Shirt, we need only the t-shirt size scale to appear.

Then on the next line when we are entering the next product, which could be trousers, we need the size scale to change so that we dont enter t-shirt sizes for a pair of trousers.

Any ideas? I really dont know how to model this!?

thanks again though

Provided Answers: 59
    so Im guessing you have a product type which determines the sizing category to use

eg shirts, tee shirts, jackets, fleeces etc (say all upper garments use sizing category A)
    trousers, shorts, bermudians.. whatever use sizing category B
    Shoes & footwear use category C
    headwear uses Category D

so if you had a product category which then had in turn product type product type could inherit the size type from product catgeory

a problem that is going to occur is how you cater for products whihc may come in different size types (eg Male, Female, Childrens, unisex)

its also an issue on how you cater for the product ie are you stoiring each size of each product of each colourway as a separate product line, or do you intend to keep the one product description and then hang off the individual colour / size permutations
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for your help,

What you said about the catergories is correct but we will probably make them A, B, C, D instead of upperware, footwear etc. (Its only the experts which will deal with this so they will have knowledge of all the sizes)
    This should eliminate problems with extra sizes such as womens etc.

A for the product lines. We intend to have one product line for each colour model. But not for each colour and each size. this is why we want the corrosponding size range to appear in the top headed row, so we can enter different quantities for this different sizes on one row.

Take a look at this jpg attachment, it may help. Its the current system used on excel.

As you can see, at the moment the coloured A, B & C, dictate the colours.

Ideally i would like to replicate the same layout in my database.

what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails example.jpg