Thread: Linking

Unanswered: Linking

Ok, I've given up on my force logout of users, I can't figure it out so oh well.

My question about linking is:

If my db is split and I put both the front and back-ends on a network share but what I'm trying to do is leave both the front and back-ends on the network share, create desktop shortcuts and put a custom icon for it.

Is this possible or will it just cause issues?

Provided Answers: 19
    All the literature points to this kind of setup being a primary cause of corruption! You need to place a copy of the frontend on each user's machine.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

I figured it would cause an issue, just wanted to check. I don't like the standard icon for Access so i wanted to change it but can't. Oh well!

Provided Answers: 10
    Tools > Startup > icon
    George
    Home | Blog

Bryan,

I hate to keep re-iterating it but perhaps you might want to look at that vb script which clones the front-end with the users name and opens the cloned copy. It prevents problems as you've stated your concern is. I use it all the time and have never had problems with it.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Paul,

I'm going to take a look at it.

I actually just tried to implement the db to see if it worked, well, like everything with me... It doesn't!

I tried to even put in the user names manually versus having the db pull the fOSUserName (I entered the same) but it gives me an error saying it can't pull it with the fOSUserName and String$ lines being highlighted.

The only one it works for is me.

I knew this would happen!

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Tools > Startup > icon

George,

I tried that, the only thing that it changed is the MS Access icon that is on the MS Access window and on the database display window where it lists like the tables, forms, queries, reports, etc. Not the icon of the actual front-end db that is put on the users desktop.

On a side note, I fixed the issue that I had.

To change the icon of the shortcut, right click and go to Properties. THen in the shortcut tab, click the Icon button.

Put the front end DB on the root of C: (or anywhere else for that matter) then create a desktop shortcut to it. Then you can customize the icon without causing corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by dkelcher
    Put the front end DB on the root of C: (or anywhere else for that matter) then create a desktop shortcut to it. Then you can customize the icon without causing corruption.
    Tried that and the one above it. The only way I can get it done is creating a shortcut and leaving the front-end of the split database on the share drive. This defeats the purpose of splitting the database then.