Unanswered: Vista (Business) odd issue with ODBC

We are still using SQL2k. I've installed the clients stuff for SQL. One thing I noted is that it was all but impossible to setup an ODBC connection because the driver does not appear in the list.

Every other driver shows up and works fine but not the SQL Server driver. A week or two ago I somehow found it and was able to create a system DSN. Now, I can't find the driver to save my life. I know it is there because my system DSN still works.

I've looked all over the internet and haven't found a thing except someone else having this same issue (and of course no replies). I've tried to install MDAC 2.8 and reapply SP4 with no results. I know Vista is new and all but SQL 2k still has a huge install base so I can't imagine this should not work much less not be supported. Microsoft's own website is of little use as well.

I have tried to create a DSN as my domain user, local admin and domain admin all with the same issue.

Nobody has come upon this?

Provided Answers: 1
    Vista does not integrate well with legacy windows applications.
    I wouldn't recommend to any client that they upgrade to either Vista or Office 2007.
    What more can I say?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

A file dsn is nothing more that a text document containing a connection string and a .dsn extension. You could put one together and use that maybe. I don't consult on client sites so I admit I do not really install these things all that often so this may or may not be useful.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Vista, for the most part hasn't given me a ton of trouble. I had issues getting it in to my domain (NT 4.0 barf), connecting a network printer but those have been the hardest two things. I can use ODBC by just changing the existing system DSN but that is a bunch of crap.

Just so everyone knows, I'm not some fool who expects even the oldest of apps to work with Vista. At some point, our clients are going to go to Vista. We are testing things now in preparation for this. Having said that, I still expect something like SQL2k to run fine @ the client level meaning simple connections.

My query analyzer connections inside my domain and outside my firewall all work perfectly as does my local server install of 2k. Everything is fine except being able to get the the driver to create new connections.

Provided Answers: 6
    another joy of not doing commercial development anymore. having to deal with a couple of hundred different environments can suck. the back office of this huge company will probably not see sql 2k5 until next year and I imagine it will be a couple before we see Vista.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Yeah, we write insurance claims software. We are not supporting SQL05 or Vista at this point but.......