Unanswered: Dlookup / Switch / or combo box!!

Hello all!
    I've come to a bit of a problem with a query and not sure which to choose from the above so any advice would be great. I'll try and explain what I want..

tblanimals
    fieldname Strain
    fieldname Age
    fieldname etc...

At the end of the year I need to do accounts and the way it is produced means that each entry gets converted to a number. Most of the entries are converted by a combo box, set the column with the number in as it is entered in the form so that is fine. I then use a query to sort out the columns as I need them, groups then and spit out a report.

However, on this report and for the main query I need the fieldname Strain to produce one field in the query as the Strain and another field in the query as a number. So I used switch i.e.

Switch(tblanimals!strain = "Freisan";1; tblanimals!strain = "Jersey";1; tblanimals!strain = "Black";3 and so on.

This works fine. However, if I need to add more criteria then it's not very easy and I think there is a limit to the number of criteria I can put in.

So then I thought I would make a combo box like before, but I can get two different query fields from one field source.

So then I looked into Dlookup to do the following:

DLookup("[Number]", "[tbllookup_strain]","[tbllookup_strain]![Strain]" = " [tblanimals]![Strain]")

So the only way I can get it to work is with Switch but if I had a combo box I could add in more as I go....what to do!?!

thanks in advance....I have browsed the forum also but I think it is making me more confused...and sorry this is so long!
    Sue

This is data. Don't put it in code - get it into a table. You are then just using a SQL join to return the related data.
    http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/arc...2/10/9002.aspx
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

thanks for this. I've looked at your post and it is very interesting.

I've made a table with the criteria set out. I'm having trouble putting in my query.

I have made the following:

tbllookup
    fieldname Strain
    Fieldname number

query
    fieldname tblanimals.Strain
    fieldname tblanimals.grouptitle

SELECT tblanimals.Strain, lookup.Number
    FROM tblanimals INNER JOIN lookup ON tblanimals.Strain = lookup_strain.Strain;

The query comes out but the number is not linked to the group title. Which I need. How can I do that? Otherwise the numbers don't fit with each grouptitle.
    thanks
    Sue

I@ve sorted it now thanks!