Thread: MDB vs. MDE

Unanswered: MDB vs. MDE

I have a completely functional MDB that for the report, creates a .doc file and saves it then prints it to the default printer. Then under certain circumstances, loads another report and makes a .doc file for it as well and prints it. In the MDB, this works fine each and every time.

When I create an .MDE file for this app, I get a non-descript crash and it gives me NO data (not a dll listed in the error message) and it creates the Backup file, and then restarts.

Does anyone have any insight as to why it would work in the MDB file and not in the MDE file?

I don't work with Access much, this is a hand-me-down from a programmer who left us with no documentation or information. Any help is appreciated.
    "Passion rebuilds the world for the youth. It makes all things alive and significant. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Provided Answers: 10
    Hey Leib, fancy posting the MDB? It may have something to do with a missing reference - that'd be my first thing to look at.
    In your MDB try removing one reference at a time and see what happens
    George
    Home | Blog

guesses:

in B you can dynamically set references, in E you can't.
    Alt-F11 to the code window and in it's menu
    Edit/Find/CurrentProject and look for text like
    references
    addfromguid
    isbroken
    remove

also - error handling is different B vs E tho the difference normally works in Es favour. anyhow - worth a thrash:
    In your .MDB
    Alt-F11 to the code window and in it's menu
    Tools/Options/General/ErrorTrapping
    try each of the two settings not currently set and see if you can make the B crash like the E
    and if yes, where?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

deleted duplicate post (stupid thing is too slow)

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    in B you can dynamically set references, in E you can't.
    I never knew that!
    So is your E supposed to just remember what references it had from back when it was a B?
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 19
    Is it possible things are moving too fast in the mde, and Windows is getting ahead of itself? Maybe a DoEvents in between the different operations of creating the .DOC saving it and printing it would help? I know that if you put, say, the printing of a number of reports behind one button, Windows will sometimes get a head of itself and bomb out; DoEvents gives it time to complete one task before starting another.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

two choices:

1 - forget the references and late-bind

2 - work in an imposed environment where every machine is a guaranteed clone with all the references you need, build (dynamically if you like with addfromguid the most bulletproof method) the references in the B, make the E, pray.

LATER: and very-much YES - the E needs to 'remember' the references from when it was a B (presumably via GUID but i don't know the internals of the mechanism)

LATER STILL: but DLL declares are OK in E (obviously ?), it's just the Application.References that implodes in E

izy
    Last edited by izyrider; 06-14-07 at 13:14.

Thanks guys. Apparently, it wasn't saving the refrence to MS Word...

As soon as I checked the box, all was right with the world.
    "Passion rebuilds the world for the youth. It makes all things alive and significant. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson