Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report issue

Unanswered: Report issue

Ok, so I set up a "reminder" report which will print out a summary of all the tasks in the database which fall into the catetory based off a query for anything that is 7 days old.

The query works fine. The only thing that I'm trying to do is:

Rather than have the report generate single pages for each record, I want all the records to show on one page and go to a new page IF IT IS NECESSARY.

I tried to set the 'Force New Page' property under "detail" of the form to "none" but it still shows seperate pages for records.

The query has the fields of : TaskID, TaskDescription, DateOriginated, DaysSinceOriginated, Status and I just want these fields to show like in rows on the page.

Is that what I'm going to have to do? Is create seperate rows for this to happen?

what's the size of your detail section and for that matter, the headers? Do you have any pagebreaks?
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    what's the size of your detail section and for that matter, the headers? Do you have any pagebreaks?

Page breaks, none that I know of.

The detail section, well, between the header, footer and detail section on a 'print preview' I made it take up the entire page with 1/2" margins all around.

The fields are horizontal in the detail section. Header and footers contain organization logos and just a label that says " Summary of overdue tasks".

I even tried to re-put in the fields from "view" --> "field list" and then dragged and dropped them in

Provided Answers: 10
    Make the details section as small as possible in the report design and take a look at the difference.
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Make the details section as small as possible in the report design and take a look at the difference.

GEORGE,

Thank you! That worked. I figured that it was some thing stupid easy.

Now I have to work on the "conditional" printing command button where the user selects their desired tasks from that same listbox and then clicks the "Full Task" command button and it prints on the main report, rptTask, with ALL the data from the selected records.

Hopefully that'll be easy and won't take me all weekend so I can work on the other few things I have to do to finish this db!

Bryan
    Last edited by Grafixx01; 06-16-07 at 00:47.

I'm taking no credit for that - I just read above and M Own suggested that already.

As for your "new challenge". You just need to open the report with a dynamic query based on the selected records.
    George
    Home | Blog

I'm taking no credit for that - I just read above and M Own suggested that already.

As for your "new challenge". You just need to open the report with a dynamic query based on the selected records.

Ok, I'm going to have to take a look and do some research on that, 'dynamic query' you speak of. I've never heard of it. I hope I don't have to make another form for it cause all I want it to do is run off a command button after the user selects which tasks they want.

I've learned a lot here with everyone from dbforums, so thanks!

B

Not to speak for Georgev (sorry Georgev if I get this wrong), but I think he means try to keep the same report "re-usuable."

When I design reports, I look at the aspect of what criteria can be done for the query of this report so it can be re-used and I'm not designing 15 different reports. For example, I usually have a "ReportForm" where the user can select a "Date Range", a "Category", and an "Entered By" value on it so the same report can be utilized. I'll put some unbound fields on the report showing what date range, category, and who entered values from the ReportForm are displayed. The criteria for the report query is then based on the values from the Reportform.

It's a lot more difficult to maintain 15 different reports if you need to add a new field to the report verses 1 or 2 reports.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 06-16-07 at 18:01.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Bryan,, we have done dynamic queries before.
    It's a "flexible" query that in this situation we often build in VBA.
    Code:
    If MyCriteria = Something Then
    SQL = SQL & "another clause"
    End If
    George
    Home | Blog

The issue that I have with the report, well, the report is already made and is the main report when the users fill out the main data entry form.

The only thing that I want now, is that after the query is ran, if the user selects like 3 of the say 15 records that show in the listbox, they click the "Print full report", then it'll print the full contents of the records selected on the main report, the one that prints from the data entry form.

So all you want to change is the SQL source of the query, right?
    George
    Home | Blog

So all you want to change is the SQL source of the query, right?

No, I don't think I have to change the SQL source for the query. The query is already ran, I just need to have the user be able to select individual tasks and then print them to the main report form with all the information from the records that they select on the individual report forms.

I already changed the propertiy of the listbox. I did some research and found that if you change the "Multiselect" property to "simple" rather than 'none' or 'extended', you can click on individual records and even hold the 'ctrl' key down to select multiple, non-concurrent records.

Now I just have to figure out how to make the command button input, via VBA I guess, to say, "If selected, print on rptTask, if not, no print".

Thanks for everything,

B

I am guessing that I'll have to use either an "If/Then" or a "Case" statement to do this.

Anyone know which would be better / or easier?

**I was thinking about adding a check-box to the main table and then displaying it on the listbox but I figure it's be kind of pointless becaues the listbox can scroll for numerous records and don't know how the checkbox would work on that.

****Do you think that would be easier, with the checkbox ?

.ListCount
    George
    Home | Blog

.ListCount
    I'm looking at this now. Going to see if I can find examples on it and work it. I'll let ya'll know if I get stuck.