Unanswered: Troubleshooting: My database has started to grow TOO fast

The primary database i'm responsible for has started to grow super fast. Every couple of days is growing by 10% (which matches with the db settings). But, the recent growth doesn't match with the historical growth. It took a couple of months to grow from 7 to 8 GB, but it has grown to about 24 Gb in the last 2 months. Bottom line - trust my assertion that it's growing alarming fast.

I need help determine what objects are fueling the growth. If I know the objects, I can probably determine the cause. From a flip-side, it might be legit data stored very poorly. I'm open to any ideas...but I need to get ahead of this problem in the next week or so...or I'm going to run out of room on the hard drive and could start to affect my users.

Please send my any ideas you might have.

Thanks,

alex8675

Provided Answers: 1
    Are you doing regular backups?
    Are you doing regular log dumps?
    What is the largest table? How many records are added to it every day?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    How many files does your database have, and what are their exact file sizes? I'm trying to figure out data versus log size, and if there are more than one data file if there are enough to cause "padding issues" that can occur at certain database sizes.

I'm typing this query from memory, but it ought to give you a good head start on what you want to know:
    Code:
    SELECT Cast(Sum(i.reserved) / 128.0 AS DECIMAL(12,2)) AS MB, o.name
       FROM dbo.sysindexes AS i
       JOIN dbo.sysobjects AS o
          ON (o.id = i.id)
       GROUP BY o.name
       ORDER BY Sum(i.reserved) DESC
    -PatP

Provided Answers: 11
    For a quick summary of the files:
    Code:
    select sum(f.size)/128, count(*) as Files, isnull (fg.groupname, 'LOG') as Filegroup
    from sysfiles f left join
    	sysfilegroups fg on f.groupid = fg.groupid
    group by fg.groupname

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    How many files does your database have, and what are their exact file sizes? I'm trying to figure out data versus log size, and if there are more than one data file if there are enough to cause "padding issues" that can occur at certain database sizes.

I'm typing this query from memory, but it ought to give you a good head start on what you want to know:
    Code:
    SELECT Cast(Sum(i.reserved) / 128.0 AS DECIMAL(12,2)) AS MB, o.name
       FROM dbo.sysindexes AS i
       JOIN dbo.sysobjects AS o
          ON (o.id = i.id)
       GROUP BY o.name
       ORDER BY Sum(i.reserved) DESC
    -PatP
    Great troubleshooting information...Pat's look at the indexes is the most telling. I've got a table with 9,000 rows that has an index taking up 9Gb. Silver Bullet for sure...now I need to figure out how to clean it up. Any suggestions?

Just another little FYI...this a database built by one of our vendors. It's has 4 db files, one of which is for indexes. Unfortunately, that file doesn't seem to be growing. Which probably means the indexes aren't really stored there. Can I script the re-building the indexes on the other file and then shrinking the data file?

Provided Answers: 11
    For that table, run this query:
    Code:
    select indid, name, reserved
    from sysindexes
    where id = object_name('name of table that is so big')
    With that size, I would expect the big index will be indid 255 (text/image). You still may be looking for about 7GB in unexplained growth, though.