Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Might be ignorance on my part...

Hey all...

I'm trying to disable the 'shift-bypass' on my db and found some really good coding of it HERE. However, it says that I have to enter an admin password.

My question...

If I put this in, to disable the shift-bypass, does this mean that I have to implement MS Access ULS on top of the security I ALREADY have in my db since it is asking for a password / admin password? Cause I don't want to do that also.

B

Provided Answers: 10
    *sigh*
    Look into splitting your database and converting the front end into an MDE.
    Remember to backup first.

that link is misleading - there are far easier ways of doing this via VBA - but MDE would still be my advice.

been there, done that, etc
    George
    Home | Blog

And where does it mention anything about access security?!

You just have to hard code the password into the VBA...
    Code:
    If strInput = "TypeYourBypassPasswordHere" Then
    Remember that everytime your "splash" form or whatever (startup form) is opened (or better yet before that!) you should set the allowbypass property to false.
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    And where does it mention anything about access security?!

You just have to hard code the password into the VBA...
    Code:
    If strInput = "TypeYourBypassPasswordHere" Then
    Remember that everytime your "splash" form or whatever (startup form) is opened (or better yet before that!) you should set the allowbypass property to false.
    George,

I read the article, not really looking at the VBA coding. The db has already been split, I just haven't done the MDE, I don't think, cause I'm not fully done with it.

I really don't recommend disabling the shift key. It just makes it more difficult for the developer and "what does it accomplish for the user?". If you make an mde for the user to work with, they can't get in, see, and mess around with your code. - isn't that the goal of it? You'll have the original mdb on your source drive which no one will be able to access so I have to ask "Why do it?" Unless you want to make it more difficult for your fellow/future developers to get into it.

And if a developer really, really wants to make changes, if he works hard enough, he'll usually find a way to hack the dang thing and get into it somehow.

(i.e. For example, getting it to bomb out on some part of the code and then clicking "debug". Try it on your FindTask form. Just leave it blank and click "Find!". Then just hit "Debug" (it took me about 20 seconds to find this and get into the code - and if you fix this, I'd find another way). Rather than going to the extent of disabling the shift-key, I'd instead work on trapping errors. Even then, it's still not a guarantee you'll catch every possible scenario and someone won't be able to get behind the scenes in an mdb.)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 06-21-07 at 12:42.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Oh yeah, even if you disable the bypass key that way - I can still code something that will let me in You can password protect your VBA code if needed - that's often beneficial and much harder to hack.

But you don't even need that if you MDE the f***er
    George
    Home | Blog

Here, here...I second that motion.

Well, I'm going to print this thread and read it cause I'm frustrated now.

I just took this DB that I've been working on for like 6 months to my boss, he likes it but said, "Does the XO like it?" I was like, "That's the problem, because he wants his assistant to hand-carry EVERYTHING from office to office and skip all the peoples, command secretaries / assistants. But I've been getting complaints and stuff of things being lost, and being stolen out of offices and people do not want the assistant, except for theirs in the offices."

So my boss said he's going to go talk to the XO. So now...6 months of work, shot down and going down the tubes cause of the XO and his assistant!

ARGH! I'm pissed!

***Sorry for the rant!

Sorry bro - get used to it though. I can't tell you how many databases I've designed only to see them fall through. This is usually associated with how long it takes to get the final product out. A fast turn-around database is more likely to get used (to some extent) verses one which takes 6 months to a year to develop. Just life.

Look on the bright side - How much have you learned doing this? (no one can ever take that away from you!) Unless they come out with a "mind-zapper" ray gun.

And also, look at all the new friends you have.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 06-21-07 at 13:27.

Paul,

This is true. The command didn't even know I was making the db though, which is the funny thing. I just think that it's pathetic how a LTC, who's just an XO, wants to see EVERYTHING and holds EVERYTHING in his office for like a week before passing it on to the people who are actually supposed to see it.

Even the people who work beneath him said it's a good thing to implement. But they said that because he wants his hands on EVERYTHING and have his assistant hand-carry everything to each person, that it won't fly. They said just consider it 'job security' for the two of them, the XO and his assistant.

So I said, "Cool. If thye say 'ok' but change it so it doesn't go to each assistant, then I'm just going to say, 'Well, then keep it the way you have it instead of using it the way that I have done the db." (they currently use a 4 sheet - MS Excell workbook and then transpose everything to an MS PowerPoint slide.

Oh well, enough ranting. I'm thankful for what you mentioned Paul and just going to continue to develop stuff on my own for gp.

Heh, reminds me of a phone conversation I had today...

Caller: Hey George, wondering if you can help me?
    Me: I can but try! What seems to be the problem
    Caller: Well I've just spent a full 4 days producing an excel spreadsheet of all the benefits information for <insert branch name>
    Me: 4 days?! Oh dear... So what can I do for you?
    Caller: Well I've been asked to make another one for another branch and, well, I don't fancy spending so long on it. Is there anyway we can automate the process, even a little bit?
    Me: I don't see a problem with that, we can query the database... You know, "ask it questions". If you send me a list of rules for what you want I can knock you up a spreadsheet in no time.
    Caller: Wow, really!? I'll get right on it!
    *click*

5 minutes later the results were in his inbox. It's amazing that someone paid this guy for 4 days work to produce something I did in under 5 minutes... And thinking about it - did they have nothing better for him to do?!
    George
    Home | Blog

Yeah, don't I know. I guess I'm just irritated at the fact that they all knew I was doing this, they ok'ed it and now they're like, "It depends on if the LTC wants it."

I have like 5 other organizations that saw the db I did and are like, "Wow, you mind making one for us like that?" I even added the option to send eMail through it to notify people when things are ready for pickup and all.

Argh... I want out of this job like YESTERDAY!

For what it is worth I found a nifty database developed by a Dave Mason . It allows the Admin user to remotely set the properties of a database by simple clicks of the mouse.

Poppa,

Awesome... You should upload it to the code archive so we can all see it, if it's too big, email it to me.

this locks down .MDE but not .MDB

the post is .MDB
    dont bother running the .MDB before ingesting the code - the .MDB is intended to behave unusually. check the .MDB for 'sabotage code' and if you don't see the code attempting to format c: or randomise the registry...
    make .MDE
    run the .MDE (still unprotected first 'preparatory' run)
    run the .MDE a second time and try shifting it. it should disobey the shift AND quit.

in principle it should be protected against DDE hacks other than by admin but there are probably other obscure attacks that can get in.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2