Unanswered: Should I brea on DB into two?

I'm slowly beginning this largish project. As a part of it I will have tables for contacts. In order to be a user of this project, you have to be in the contacts table. Other than that, the contacts aren't really all that relevant to the rest of the goings on but could be useful to the department in other, almost unrealated ways. For the most part the project tracks tasks and issues as they come and go and may do a small amount of inventory tracking.
    I was looking at the data that supports the Contacts and got to thinking that it could almost be its own beast. I'm not quite versed in using ADO and recordsets and all that but am hoping to use them in this project. Since I am doing that, it doesn't seem like all the data has to be kept in the same background file.

Could/should I break contacts out into it's own .mdb and keep all the other stuff separate? It seems like a view/query/linked table could do the job more cleanly.

I'm sure that to some degree this is personal preference. I guess I am looking for:
    A) is this a violation of a cardinal rule?
    B) has anyone else used this split background approach successfully?
    C) am I setting myself up for failure by over complicating things?

Thanks very much

RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro
    Please reply to this forum so all may learn.

I don't think that is quite what I am saying. I already split front from back. I'm meaning more like 1 to two different front ends pulling from 2- 5 (hypothetically) backends.

Sorry for not understanding. If I were you, I would think about long term maintainance. Could someone else maintain and alter your system three years down the road without your assistance?
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro
    Please reply to this forum so all may learn.

hmm, very good point. Thanks