Unanswered: Different Server Names

Hello,

I am using ADO controls for MSSQL Database. The server name on my machine is different from the server name on the machine where i am running my application. When i make changes to my application, i have to rebuild the connection on my ADO Control. Is there a way to create a server name on my developement machine to match the server name where i run my application?

Would appreciate any help.

Hi Ed

Welcome to DBForums

Don't bother buggering about with instance names. Just create some control procedure in your front end code that works out "If I am running in development mode on this machine connect to server A, otherwise connect to server B".
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

hello pootle flump

thanks for the reply.

i have created a variable which contains the datasource string. i change the datasource string when on development with my machines servername and switch the servername to the working machine. it displays a message that it cant find the server. is there something i missed?

Which one displays the message? What is your connection string? Are either of the instances SQL Server Express? Have you installed Visual Studio 2005\ 2003 on your workstation?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

pDataSource$ = "Development"
    pUserId$ = "sa"

pConnectionString$ = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=" + pUserId$ + ";Initial Catalog=Ormon;Data Source=" + pDataSource$

ADOControl.ConnectionString = pConnectionString$

when i want to run the application in the actual environment i simply change the pDataSource$ value to "Actual"

unfortunately, the "server cannot be found" error occurs

Can you connect to either? You are not specifying a password for sa. Also, sa is a very poor choice for a login for an application.

Please also look at my questions again - you missed a couple.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump