Unanswered: "Invalid Argument" error when trying to convert dB

I have an old Access 97 project that I want to convert to Access 2003.

I am totally stuck right now ... I can't open the database or convert it. Whenever I try to open or convert the database (with the "Shift" key depressed), I see the error message attached below.

I have tried arguing differently with the stoopid computer, but doesn't seem to listen.

Does anyone know what is causing this error? How can I diagnose this problem?

The database opens fine under Access 97, so I should be able to correct the problem there (once I can determine how to find it)

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails InvalidArgument.JPG  
    Last edited by azjazz; 06-25-07 at 16:23.
    AzJazz

"I'm afraid the holodeck will be society's last invention." - Scott Adams

When you open in Access 97 is there an autoexec macro etc.?

Provided Answers: 19
    If you haven't done so, you might also try compiling the db in Access 97 before trying to convert to 2003.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Access is probably trying to compile all the code in the db, whether it's used or not. You might have some event that you abandoned, or deleted a control without deleting its events, in the old db. You might want to examine your VBA - in '97 - for such unused code and delete it.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Smurf
    When you open in Access 97 is there an autoexec macro etc.?
    Poppa Smurf - There was, but I had already deleted it. There was no effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq
    If you haven't done so, you might also try compiling the db in Access 97 before trying to convert to 2003.
    Missinglinq - I haven't compiled a dB before. Is that the "Make MDE File ..." menu selection?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Landy
    Access is probably trying to compile all the code in the db, whether it's used or not. You might have some event that you abandoned, or deleted a control without deleting its events, in the old db. You might want to examine your VBA - in '97 - for such unused code and delete it.

Sam
    Sam - Actually, I did something even more radical yesterday while trying to diagnose this problem. I deleted everything from the '97 database (as far as I know). I deleted all the tables, queries, forms, reports, macros, and toolbars.

I now have what I thought would be an empty database (Now: 114 kB, Was: 11.6 MB).

... And, I still see the error when opening up the "empty" database in Access 2003.

Sigh.
    AzJazz

Now compress the database in '97. Open the db, click on Tools-->Database Utilities-->Compact.

That should empty everything.

By the way, I assume you did the deleting on a copy of the db, but you still have a full db. Right? Also, deleting the objects might not delete all the code.

I think your best bet is to create a pristine new db in 2003 and import your various objects from the old db using File-->External Data-->Import. It's certainly faster than playing the game you're playing now! And it won't give you error messages until you run the offending code/object.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Landy
    Now compress the database in '97. Open the db, click on Tools-->Database Utilities-->Compact.

That should empty everything.

By the way, I assume you did the deleting on a copy of the db, but you still have a full db. Right? Also, deleting the objects might not delete all the code.

I think your best bet is to create a pristine new db in 2003 and import your various objects from the old db using File-->External Data-->Import. It's certainly faster than playing the game you're playing now! And it won't give you error messages until you run the offending code/object.

Sam
    Sam - I tried Compacting & Repairing on the "empty" database in '97. I still see the "Invalid Argument" error message in 2003.

At this point, I'm afraid you're right - I will have to import everything to a pristine 2003 database.

I was trying to avoid importing the hundreds (literally) of queries & reports manually ... as well as trying to learn something about why this "Invalid Argument" error was occurring.

Hopefully, the import will go smoothly ...
    AzJazz

The import is not manual. The wizard opens a box listing all the various objects in various tabs. There is a box labeled "Import All" to import all the displayed objects. Just go from tab to tab clicking the "Import All" at each tab. Open the "Options>" and import all specs, etc., as well. Don't sell the old db down the river. If there's a valid problem believe me it'll surface in due time - just when you least want it or expect it.

Sam

Sweet!

That worked very nicely.
    AzJazz