Unanswered: Explicit Permissions For Server SQL Server 2005

Hi All,

I am looking for a description of all explicit permissions for server. I can't find it anywhere, I checked BOL and the internet without any luck. Any ideas?

On SQL Server 2005 there are a few system views and functions that will give you all the information you'll ever need about permissions, roles and principals.

sys.fn_builtin_permissions(...)
    sys.server_permissions
    sys.server_role_members
    sys.server_principals

...just to name some of them.

What I am looking for is a full description of the different server permissions, like we get in BOL, except I can't find it in BOL. Example: one of the server permissions is alter any connection and I need to know what it means. I hope this is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by inka
    What I am looking for is a full description of the different server permissions, like we get in BOL, except I can't find it in BOL. Example: one of the server permissions is alter any connection and I need to know what it means. I hope this is clear.
    Ok, I see. What you are saying is that BOL does not explain what ALTER ANY CONNECTION means. I haven't found any detailed description either, and I agree that it is hard to guess what some of the permissions actually give you permission to do. Take ALTER ANY CONNECTION as an example. What will it let me do? Kill connections? Create principals (logins and users)? Grant permissions to principals? I must honestly say I don't know for this one.

I see. Thanks anyway.