Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    164

    Unanswered: Record(s) cannot be read; no read permission on 'Query 1'

    Hi,

    I have a spreadsheet that connects to a query in an access database. I was able to update the spreadsheet but now when i click on hte refresh data button i receive an error.

    The error says:

    Record(s) cannot be read; no read permission on 'Query 1'

    I went ahead and tryed to creat a new spreadsheet to see if i could successfully connect to any queries or tables in the same database. I was able to connect to the acccess database with not probelem, but when the window that displays all the tables and queries comes up, i am not able to see all of the tables and queries. I can only see a few.

    Also, even if i select one of the objects that i can see, i will still get the same error.

    I am pretty much stumped here. If there is anyone with some ideas pelase feel free to help.

    Thank you,

    Steve G

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    metro Detroit
    Posts
    634
    Is there any security on the database, or the source files for any linked tables?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    Is there any security on the database, or the source files for any linked tables?
    There are no links tables in this database, but it does belong to a workgroup. So there are security permissions through that. I am an admin so i should have permissions to all the objects in the workgroup.

    I am able to successfully bring data over from other databases but not this one. Any ideas?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    metro Detroit
    Posts
    634
    Are you refreshing the data in the xls file? If so, try doing it with the database open. It sounds like excel is trying to access an mdb that needs a user name and/or password. If the mdb is already opened excel should be able to access it, but if the mdb is not open, excel fails to open it without providing a valid user name and/or password. I ran into this a while back and I think I ended up exporting data from the secured mdb to an unsecured mdb and linking the xls file to the unsecured mdb.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    Are you refreshing the data in the xls file? If so, try doing it with the database open. It sounds like excel is trying to access an mdb that needs a user name and/or password. If the mdb is already opened excel should be able to access it, but if the mdb is not open, excel fails to open it without providing a valid user name and/or password. I ran into this a while back and I think I ended up exporting data from the secured mdb to an unsecured mdb and linking the xls file to the unsecured mdb.
    Yes, i am refreshing the data in the xls file. I tryed refreshing it while the database was open but no luck. This particular database is a desing master which replicates. This is the only one that we replicate with replicas across the network. Do you think that this could be related to it being a design master?

    I don't have problems with any other databases and those are not design masters.

    Thanks you

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    164

    Solution

    Okay, i figured out the reason why. It looks like some of the permissions might have been lost when the database was restored from back up. I am not sure the cause of it but i know that under Tools > Security > User Groups and Permissions the Admin account did not have any permissions for any of the tables or queries. I went ahead and gave the Admin account Administer rights because excel will use the the Admin account to pull over information from the database.


    After i did that I was able to pull data over with no problem.

    Thank you everyone for your help and advise.

    Steve G

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •