Unanswered: Advance to Next Letter

Is there a sequencing function for letters? I haven't had a need for this and really haven't done much searching, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had come accross this type of scenerio.

I have an ID that is a combination of 4 letters and/or numbers. A specific group should have thier IDs in sequence (AAA1, AAA2 or 111A, 111B). Incrementing the number is pretty straight-forward, but I was wondering if there was a function to increment letters (seems like there should be).

I dont believe there is a specific function, but you could use the same number incrementing system whilst utilitzing ASCII codes. The only other difference would be writing a little check to see if it is a Z and what to do in that situation

Provided Answers: 59
    you could do it via the ASC & CHR functions
    I think...
    the ASC funtion gives you the ascii number fro the supplied character, where as chr gives your the character represented by the number

usually its beet er to use the ASC$ & CHR$ varianations

so to get to AAB1 from AAA9 youd have to examine the 4th character to see if it was 9, then increment the 3rd character

but you would almost certainly have to roll your own fucntion tohandle the cascading and overflow
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the input.

I figured I'd have to write a little something. I'll probably incorporate the ASC function and check the characters from right to left. At least I'm working with a fixed number of charaters and Uppercase letters only.