Unanswered: Displaying only the dates that exist for the specific customer (screen)

Hi

Can you please help me with my code. I'm trying to display only the dates that are available in the history table fo the customer displayed in the screen & it's not working

Here's my code:

SELECT DISTINCT date FROM Sasol_campaign_history WHERE sasol_master_campaign.[store name]=sasol_campaign_history.[store name];

and i tried this as well

SELECT DISTINCT date FROM Sasol_campaign_history WHERE sasol_campaign_history.[store name] = [forms]![frmSasol_campaign]![store name];

it's in the row source

Please kindly help

Noks

Provided Answers: 19
    SQL is a long ways from being my strong suit, but I think maybe

SELECT DISTINCT Sasol_campaign_history.date FROM Sasol_campaign_history WHERE sasol_master_campaign.[store name]=sasol_campaign_history.[store name];

Also, if you actually have a field named date you're heading for heartache! It's a reserved word and a dangerous one. Take a look at this :

http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread659167.html

Good Luck!

Linq
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Where's the join?

SELECT DISTINCT date FROM Sasol_campaign_history WHERE sasol_master_campaign.[store name]=sasol_campaign_history.[store name];

is missing the INNER JOIN ... ON .... clause.

You need something like

Code:
    SELECT [date] FROM Sasol_campaign_history INNER JOIN sasol_master_campaign ON sasol_campaign_history.[store name] = sasol_master_campaign.[store name] GROUP BY [date];
    Although I agree with Missinglinq that you shouldn't use "date" as a variable name because it's a reserved word.

HTH,
    Sam

Thanks Linq

I've changed date to txtdate and now i get the same date for every customer even the 1s that don't have history

Please help
    Noks

noks,

You didn't see my post above.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Landy
    Where's the join?

is missing the INNER JOIN ... ON .... clause.

You need something like

Code:
    SELECT [date] FROM Sasol_campaign_history INNER JOIN sasol_master_campaign ON sasol_campaign_history.[store name] = sasol_master_campaign.[store name] GROUP BY [date];
    Although I agree with Missinglinq that you shouldn't use "date" as a variable name because it's a reserved word.

HTH,
    Sam
    Thanks Sam

I tried yo code. It displays the date in each and every record (customer) even if it's not in the history table. it's like the where clause is ignored

Noks

noks,

You didn't see my post above.

Sam
    Just noticed it & responded

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noks
    Thanks Sam

I tried yo code. It displays the date in each and every record (customer) even if it's not in the history table. it's like the where clause is ignored

Noks
    I specifically didn't put in a WHERE clause; it's redundant. Also, the INNER JOIN ... ON ... should have prevented the overlap of records. Please copy and paste the actual SQL statement in your code.

Sam

I specifically didn't put in a WHERE clause; it's redundant. Also, the INNER JOIN ... ON ... should have prevented the overlap of records. Please copy and paste the actual SQL statement in your code.

Sam
    Here's my code:

SELECT [txtdate] FROM Sasol_campaign_history INNER JOIN sasol_master_campaign ON sasol_campaign_history.[store name]=sasol_master_campaign.[store name] GROUP BY [txtdate];

But it's still dispalying it in each adn every record

Quote Originally Posted by noks
    Here's my code:

SELECT [txtdate] FROM Sasol_campaign_history INNER JOIN sasol_master_campaign ON sasol_campaign_history.[store name]=sasol_master_campaign.[store name] GROUP BY [txtdate];

But it's still dispalying it in each adn every record
    The SQL looks good. Hm'm. Do you perhaps have duplicate store names in the master campaign table, or are they all unique?

Sam

Provided Answers: 19
    I've changed date to txtdate
    Changed it where? You can't just change it in the query.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

I've changed it in the table as well as the query.

Noks

Shouldn't...

"SELECT [txtdate] FROM Sasol_campaign_history INNER JOIN sasol_master_campaign ON sasol_campaign_history.[store name]=sasol_master_campaign.[store name] GROUP BY [txtdate]"

Be...

"SELECT [txtdate] FROM Sasol_campaign_history INNER JOIN sasol_master_campaign WHERE sasol_campaign_history.[store name]= '" & Forms!MyFormName!MyStoreFieldName & "' GROUP BY [txtdate]"

(with the = ' " & Forms!MyFormName!MyStoreFieldName & " ') But maybe I missed that in the posts. I mean, wouldn't you want to make the criteria for the select statement based upon the field in the form called StoreName? I'm assuming you have a field on the form called StoreName.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 07-02-07 at 14:29.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)