Unanswered: dynamic table names in stored procedure...

Hello all,

Im just wondering... is there any way to have dynamic table names, so that, say for instance, i have 4 stored procedures, that all do the same thing, just to four different tables. is there any way to have 1 stored procedure, and pass through the table name???

Adding the four statements into one statement is not an option, as i only need to execute one at a time..., not all four at once...

Cheers,
    Justin

you will have to create a dynamic query something on these lines

declare @table nvarchar(20)
    set @table = 'Customers'
    declare @sql nvarchar(100)
    set @sql = 'select * from ' + @table
    exec sp_executesql @sql

i used the northwind database as an example for this and this example works on the customers table....

so if your column names will not make a difference then you will need to create a dynamic query on these lines and execute it

SQL Injection - look it up or better still read Jesse's link.

If you must do this then I would recommend at a minimum that you only allow acceptable values for @tablename rather than strip out any naughty looking code. One way to verify is to use a paramaterised query that checks that there is a table whose name equals the value of @tablename and only execute the final string if there is.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    SQL Injection - look it up or better still read Jesse's link.

If you must do this then I would recommend at a minimum that you only allow acceptable values for @tablename rather than strip out any naughty looking code. One way to verify is to use a paramaterised query that checks that there is a table whose name equals the value of @tablename and only execute the final string if there is.
    Paranoia ... a man after my own heart.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --