Unanswered: USING BLOBS in Access

Hello everybody, I am new here, and I want to use BLOBS in M.S Access, I have found the module from another place, but I dont know how implement that on my database, so request you help and guide me through that.
    See the attachment
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi tanha

I haven't downloaded your attachment so don't really know what you are doing. However, the long and short of it is blobs and access don't typically work all that well together. Please could you give more details on what you are trying to do and what you require blobs for?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks for replying.
    I have a table that has four fields (ID, FirstName, LastName, Photo), the data type for the Photo is OLE, So I have another form, which I enter the data and also I browse a picture too, then when I click on Save button, to insert the form data into table, here I dont know how use the BLOB module, to store the photo as blob in photo field of table.
    Hope it is clear, and if is not, plz have a look at the attachment once.

Hi tanha

Glad I asked

Typically this issue is resolved by not storing blobs in JET tables. Instead, store the photos on the file system and the path to the photo in the table. Files on the file system, data in the database

There has even been a recent question on the same topic:
    http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1619815
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

the link was useless for me

Quote Originally Posted by tanha
    the link was useless for me
    How? The requirement was identical.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Tanha,

I agree with pootle_flump. There is no reason is store images particularly OLE bitmaps in a database when you can referentially link the images. OLE is very inefficient and just because Microsoft lets you do this it does not mean it is a good idea and beside why store a 20K jpeg as a 500K bitmap?

The reson why blobs are discouraged is that once you get a large number of images the database engine has to hurdle over these blobs to get actual data as opposed to rendering these images only where required.

Simon

I wonder, is tanha was looking for more of a how-to type thing?

If you want to open it in it's native app use the application.followhyperlink = "C:\SomeFolder\SomeFile.bmp" approach. Since you happen to know it's a picture, especially if they are all the same size, like album art, you could just have a nonvisible picture and assign the image with PictureHere.Picture = "C:\SomeFolder\SomeFile.bmp"

Blobs

I know BLOBS increase the volume of the db, but I have the picture 3x4, and I dont like to use the path, I just want all the photos within Access, if u could help me, so plz attach a sample for me.
    Thanks

Tanha,

I don't use blobs although I have the software to do it but only as jpegs, I would touch OLE bitmaps with a barge pole!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by tanha
    I know BLOBS increase the volume of the db, but I have the picture 3x4, and I dont like to use the path, I just want all the photos within Access, if u could help me, so plz attach a sample for me.
    I am afraid it is so long since I last hosed a JET database storing blobs that I can't remember how to do it. I'm sure someone will come along and be able to help you though

If ever you do decide to use the path despite not liking it we should be able to find plenty of examples for you.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump