Unanswered: Performance monitor -- Buffer cache object

Hello,
    Does the performance counter Buffer cache object refer to Data cache and procedure cache or just refers to Data cache???

I was of the opinion that Buffer cache means data cache and Plan cache means procedure cache. Can someone throw some light???

Regards

Jaideep

Provided Answers: 11
    SQLServer:Buffer Manager-> Buffer cache hit ratio is a measure of how well the data pages alone are being hit. There is a separate category for the Procedure Cache (SQLServer: Cache Manager).

Thanks for your reply. is there a way to monitor the size of the data cache and procedure cache seperately. Buffer cache is a very confusing term. Does it refer to Data cache which holds all recently accessed data as well as pinned tables or does it refer to procedure cache which holds all recently accessed compiled query plans. I have tried dbbc showmemory which i think replaced dbcc memusage from the sybase days. Even there there is no clear distinction between data cache and procedure cache. I am coming from a sybase background where we can configure both cache's independently from the total memory pool.

Provided Answers: 11
    Look into the Buffer Manager->Data Pages and Buffer Manager->Procedure Cache counters.

This means that buffer cache is actually the memory structure as a whole. Data cache and procedure cache and other cache requirements for work and hash tables are collectively referred to as buffer cache. Am I right???

Jaideep