Unanswered: Steps Before Migration

Hello,
    SQL Server 2005 Enterprise and new hardware have been ordered for our department. We currently run SQL Server 2000 (sp4). We have almost 500 DTS packages, 293 Jobs, and 14 user databases with hundreds of objects within.

Is there any documentation out there on how to scrutenize a current system? I have searched, and most of what I can find addresses migration planning with the assumption that the databases, packages, jobs, security, etc are ready to move over. We have a lot to think about before we can do that. We know we have redundancy problems (like View proliferation), table schema issues, obsolete DTS packages and Jobs, and otherwise a host of opportunities to 'clean house' and/or improve. We would really like to get a handle on what we are migrating before we migrate.

If you have any ideas or resources to you feel would be worth looking at, please share.

Thank you for your help!

cdun2

this will help you identify problems you may have in upgrading: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

To see what you currently have, you can try the app in my sig below to generate docs on all your databases. It will show you all the details of any 2000 or 2005 database, dependencies etc. it's shareware, but the trial version is not limited.

We failed to perform similar task, we have tons of DTS packages, sql 2005 does not support DTS fully and we Rolled back to sql2000. We are redesigning the DTS packages in 3rd party tool, not yet finished and dont know we can do that or not... LOL.. Microsoft has released beta 2008 sql server...

Thank you for your help!

cdun2

I am currently in a similar position as cdun2. We are upgrading from 2000 to 2005. We have over 100 instances, and over 1000 production databases. We are also changing all the server names, and we don't know who the clients to our dbs are, let alone their connection strings. Any online whitepapers or resources which talk about large scale migrations as this one will help (both technical and business). This should be interesting...

Thanks