Unanswered: Service started but databse is not running

Hi everybody,
    I´m struggling with a nasty problem with Oraclöe 10gR2 on a W2003 Server (VMWare!!!)
    I installed the software and created an instance ervything looks o.k, the database is up and running, I created several users, tablespaces, did some imports without any problems.
    I restarted the server several times and everything was working but without any changes, the windows-service for the instance is up ad running but I have no acces to the database. The service is up and running, but the instance is not started. I checked the registrykeys for this instance and the values for autostart are set to "TRUE".
    Does anyone has an idea how to fix it? Maybe it´s a problemwith VMWare and Oracle???
    Regards
    Herbert

What is the exact error message?

I connected to sqlplus (sqlplus sys/process as sysdba) and I getthe following message;
    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator>sqlplus sys/process as sysdba;

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Di Jul 3 12:35:59 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Bei einer nicht hochgefahrenen Instance angemeldet.

SQL>

o.k. not sure, how good your german is

I try to translate it: You are connected to an instance which is not started

So, I just start the instance and everything is fine. What do I have to change and how...The registry-keys look fine, I tried oradim to change it... nothing helps.
    Regards
    Herbert

Provided Answers: 1
    I had the same problem on a newly created database (using 10gR2 & running on W2003) - I couldn't find out what was causing the problem, so created a scheduled windows job that ran a SQL script to startup the database. Then a couple of days later it starting behaving itself!

So, not sure how to 'cure' the problem, but it may go away on its own in a day or so - sorry I can't help more.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.