Unanswered: Auto Count / Increment Reset

I'm redeveloping a DB for a new project, so have removed all previous records from relevant tables (to start a-fresh)

One snub, the ID fields in the tables are auto increasing from where they left off, rather than from 1

If anyone knows how to reset the auto counters, it would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Auto Count Reset

Try
    Compact and Repair Database.
    This can be found by selecting Tools on the menu bar then Database Utilities

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Smurf
    Try
    Compact and Repair Database.
    This can be found by selecting Tools on the menu bar then Database Utilities
    ....yeah that should do it...

...but why is the starting value of system generated number significant? its number created within the system to uniquely identify records. some db's allow you to specify a starting value, and even interval (I think there is more than one sever db that will allow you to put in a descending autonumber value.

If all you are concerned about is neatness when you hand it over to the end user then fine.. but don't plan on using the number is a human significant way.. an autonumber column is not a replacement for a duplicate copy or receipt book, its not a replacement for a sequential order/invoice system. if you need sequential numbers you will need to think again, and implement a different mechanism, one which only allocates a number as required.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

While I agree with healdem's warning, I have come across a way to 'reset' the AutoNumber count. In design mode, delete the AutoNumber field and save the table. Then re-insert the field again and re-save. You may have to exit design mode in between changes. Admittedly this is like taking a shotgun to a gnat, but it does work.

Sam

Sam
    I also with healdem's warning and use your method as a "fail safe method". I delete the autonumber field, save the table, then Compact and Repair. Give it the "full treatment"

Hi All,
    Thank you for your replies yesterday, the problem has now been solved