Unanswered: Access 97 on Vista

OK, when you've picked yourself up from laughing at me - really, does anyone know how to install Access 97 on Vista. So what if it's 10 years old? Upgrading to Access 2007 (the only version officially supported by Vista) will cost a grand minimum and we don't have it. So has anyone done this successfully?

Katherine

Can't be done. Access 2003 works perfectly fine on Vista. I have it at the house on Vista Ultimate and it works without any issues.

Access 97 run perfectly well on Vista.

Problems encountered

1) loading Office 97 SP2 has to be done manually. SP1 is fine.
    2) the new Aero has a border, if you use the extremities of the screen in existing forms the horizontal and vertical scroll bars appear. Solution here is to change the Desktop to the Classic i.e. Non Aero.

I still don't like Vista! Where's reverse!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMT
    Access 97 run perfectly well on Vista.

Problems encountered

2) the new Aero has a border, if you use the extremities of the screen in existing forms the horizontal and vertical scroll bars appear. Solution here is to change the Desktop to the Classic i.e. Non Aero.

I still don't like Vista! Where's reverse!

Simon

**THREAD JACK**

Simon,

The "reverse" you speak of is called Linux!

Grafixx,

Of course - silly me!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMT
    How do you do that? You're right, SP2 doesn't work.

By the way I worked out that the first step is NOT to install into "program files/microsoft office" because that's where the (not asked for, preinstalled, impossible to fully uninstall even though not licensed for commercial use so I shouldn't use it anyway) Office 2007 is stored.

I used sr2bof97.exe. The problem I discovered from the logs were the Tahoma fonts. Basically this is a bit of a pigs ear. The key is to grab the extracted files and no more, then edit the filelist.txt and finally run the sr2patch.exe. I'm sure there must be a switch just do the extract.

You go to the stage after the extract but before entering the Product ID Number.

I found the Directory:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP

I copied all the files from this directory into C:\Temp\Office97
    (Some files were deleted once the upgrade failed).

So in my new directory, I then edited the filelist.txt file and removed every line with tahoma.ttf and saved the file.

Then I run sr2patch.exe.

There was a lot of trial and error but I got there eventually, it took an extraordinary amount time just for one PC.

I hope this is helpful.

Simon