Question Unanswered: MySQL, PostgreSQL or FirebirdSQL, WHY??

Hi all, my name is paul and i are new user.

My english is very bad I'm from chile

My question is:

What bd choice and why:

- MySQL
    - PostgreSQL
    - FirebirdSQL

Thanks very much

FirebirdSQL :
    - more simple than PostgreSQL
    - good hot backup (MySQL still wait this for 6.0 version even in some patch exist or third party not free)
    - more features than MySQL (nearer to true SQL)

http://idkn.wordpress.com/2009/03/15...-to-be-so-bad/
    Last edited by VLDG; 03-22-09 at 17:57.

Here's a comparison you might be interested in. Keep in mind that at least one of the 'features listed (Multi-threaded architecture) is listed as a "Feature We do NOT want" at the PostgreSQL To Do list. (PostgreSQL reasoning: "This eliminates the process protection we get from the current setup. Thread creation is usually the same overhead as process creation on modern systems, so it seems unwise to use a pure threaded model.")

And Another

The tweakers.net testing is also interesting, looking at performance under load for MySQL and PostgreSQL.
    Last edited by loquin; 03-23-09 at 16:19.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by loquin
    Here's a comparison you might be interested in. Keep in mind that at least one of the 'features listed (Multi-threaded architecture) is listed as a "Feature We do NOT want" at the PostgreSQL To Do list. (PostgreSQL reasoning: "This eliminates the process protection we get from the current setup. Thread creation is usually the same overhead as process creation on modern systems, so it seems unwise to use a pure threaded model.")
    With Firebird 2.1 : there is many new things see here Firebird 2.1 Release Notes

Quote Originally Posted by loquin
    conclusion for this is :

So far, the only difference in features that has mattered to us, is the lack of built-in support for regular expressions in Firebird (see above). In all other respects (of importance to us), the functionality of Postgres and Firebird seems equivalent.
    and I think there is no CTE in PostgreSQL

PostgreSQL and FirebirdSQL are great database.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by VLDG
    There will be in 8.4

I personally prefer Postgres because documentation is far better than Firebird.
    Firebird doesn't have a single source manual. There are bits and pieces all over the places. Some stuff in the old InterBase manuals, all the new stuff in the release notes for each realease, some stuff in the new reference manual

for documentation there is the "bible" book of Helen Borrie The Firebird Book: a Reference for Database Developers

and there is magic IDE like IBExpert with good help with F1 :P
    IBExpertWebsite

With Firebird 2.1 : there is many new things see here Firebird 2.1 Release Notes

conclusion for this is :
    So far, the only difference in features that has mattered to us, is the lack of built-in support for regular expressions in Firebird (see above). In all other respects (of importance to us), the functionality of Postgres and Firebird seems equivalent.

PostgreSQL and FirebirdSQL are great database.
    Both of them have had releases since that comparison was published. Firebird to 2.1, pg to v8.3.6, (v8.4 is in beta.) (Ref feature matrix) At the time of the review, though, those were the 'bullets.'

The folks doing the second comparison/review felt they were mostly comparable, "in features that has mattered to us" (my italics.) I think THAT's the key. The end user needs to do their homework, decide WHICH features are important for them, and evaluate the different databases, weighting the comparison using THEIR important features.

They are both outstanding, but, I feel as if pg is a more ... complete database. It has more features, and more solid documentation.

for documentation there is the "bible" book of Helen Borrie The Firebird Book: a Reference for Database Developers
    You can buy third party books for PostgreSQL too, but, the documentation included with it is very complete. A full and complete set of documentation is updated and released as a part of each software release.
    Last edited by loquin; 03-25-09 at 17:02.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

firebird is simple and fast database, have simple sql for stored procedures.

postgresql is good database.

mysql is only good for web.

this three database is not good for big enterprise systems.

for big enterprise system such as bank... is oracle, db2 and teradata.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakin
    this three database is not good for big enterprise systems.
    That is simply not true. PostgreSQL is more than suitable for enterprise systems.
    I agree with you when it comes to MySQL because their focus is on performance and data integrity and security have not the top priority.

for big enterprise system such as bank... is oracle, db2 and teradata.
    Teradata is a data warehouse database, it's not for OLTP applications.

big enterprises like google etc usually change basic database so you can bet above all are not most suitable to high scaling conditions , for normal and quick responding database for small and medium sized enterprise i`ll go for MySql.

Quote Originally Posted by mtravel13 View Post
    database for small and medium sized enterprise
    even small entreprise can have very big database !

But in any case, I would not recommend MySQL except for web application.

Note by Moderater: moved the post to its own thread in the PostgreSQL Forum.
    Last edited by loquin; 11-19-09 at 17:41. Reason: Hijack: move post to its own thread in the pg forum

hello I am newbie here

Quote Originally Posted by VLDG View Post
    even small entreprise can have very big database !

But in any case, I would not recommend MySQL except for web application.
    That's a very interesting topic. But this field is still new to me.
    It will be grateful if you give me some
    more information about it.
    Thanks in advance.