Unanswered: How to insert a row of data using a condition

Hello everyone.

I have sort of an issue that I have stumbled on and don't know how to resolve it. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction here.

I have 3 tables like so:

Code:
    dspatch
    dispatch_Id

narrative
    narrative_id
    dispatch_id

narrative_Photo
    photo_id
    narrative_id
    path
    size

Here is some sample data from the narrative_Photo tale I am having a problem with:

Code:
    photo_id     narrative_id     path          size
    1            1                /docs/1.jpg     1kb
    Here is the sql I am using so far:
    Code:
    SELECT
    `narrative_Photo`.`narrative_Photo_Id`,
    `narrative_Photo`.`path`
    FROM
    `narrative_Photo`
    Inner Join `narrative` ON `narrative`.`narrative_Id` = `narrative_Photo`.`narrative_Id`
    Inner Join `dispatch` ON `dispatch`.`dispatch_Id` = `narrative`.`dispatch_Id`
    WHERE
    `dispatch`.`incident_Number_Id` =  '1'
    I need a second condition for the "dispatch_Id". My php code needs to first match the row where the dispatch_Id = something then insert the rest of the data.

I could get around this whole issue if I just put the PK from the incident table as the FK in the narrative_Photo table, effectively bypassing the incident table but that is not correct. I hope I am making myself clear.

Can someone please give me a hand?

Thanks

I'm somewhat confused.
    First off, what is the DDL for your tables? I can guess integers and varchars but it may not be the case.
    Secondly, i'm not sure i follow the question.

1) Are you trying to insert data?
    2) If yes, what data are you inserting?
    3) Are you attempting to insert "cross-table" i.e. into more than 1 table at a time.

From what I can see from your post you are doing a select statement, which doesn't make sense in relevance to the question title. What are you inserting and where?

Quote Originally Posted by fjm1967
    I could get around this whole issue if I just put the PK from the incident table as the FK in the narrative_Photo table, effectively bypassing the incident table but that is not correct. I hope I am making myself clear.
    sorry, you aren't

incident table? what incident table?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thank you both for your replies. I am thinking that this is more of a php session question than an sql question.

With the sql, I can generate the insert statement that I need but in php it is different.

I think I really need to understand what is happening first with the php. I'll post back if I still need help..

Thank you!!