Unanswered: Back up SQL server 2005 ! Need help

i am a IT administrator ! I am now administer the webserver run SQL server 2005, running backup symantec exec . I want to know there is other better tool for sql backup ! I really dont like database much ! just want to know enough for administering them

Provided Answers: 1
    Use the built-in MSSQL 2005 tools for backing up your databases.
    I haven't used Symantec's database backup product, but I have had several bad experiences with Veritas. I advise using the SQL Server tools to backup your databases to disk, and then use Symantec or Veritas to archive the backup files to tape.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Use the built-in MSSQL 2005 tools for backing up your databases.
    I haven't used Symantec's database backup product, but I have had several bad experiences with Veritas. I advise using the SQL Server tools to backup your databases to disk, and then use Symantec or Veritas to archive the backup files to tape.
    +1. The only third-party tools I've considered for backing up my databases are compression utilities (like LiteSpeed from Imceda/Quest or SQL Backup from Red Gate). Other than these, I avoid plug-ins for "Enterprise" backup solutions.

I have used one other product: Timefinder Module for EMC Symmetrix. That was an interesting implementation that allowed for near-instantaneous backups of multi-terabyte databases. That's overkill for most situations though.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?