Unanswered: Laptop outperforming desktop for Ms-Access

I have an IBM T43 laptop that is consistently outperforming newer model desktops when I run an MS-Access application that has VBA and straight Query processing and cannot figure out why. Laptop has 1.5gb RAM with 2g CPU and desktop has 2gb with 3g CPU. I believe issue resides in speed of the logical / chipset memory but cannot confirm. Has anyone else seen or dealt with increasing performance via memory tweaks or improved bus speed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Note that perf drop is approx 25% when CPU spikes at 100% (disk events are about equal) which is why I'm leaning towards any CPU-related (ie: bus speed, chipset, etc.) settings.
    Thanks in advance...

I think your answer depends on a lot of different factors, ie.. Other software loaded, type of video card, available ram, harddrive speed, etc...etc...
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Paul - yes agreed. However the Desktops all appear to have "better" items (ie: more memory, faster cpu, etc.). I did some further digging and found that the laptop has a CPU with 2gb L2Cache whereas the Desktops all have only 1gb. This appears to be the bottleneck as I modified the laptop settings to reflect 1gb L2Cache and the performance dropped. Am currently testing a new laptop with faster CPU, more memory, plus the same 2gb Cache. Hopefully I'll see a bump in performance.
    Thanks

One more thing that I should have picked up on...
    If Access is run via a shortcut on your desktop and that shortcut points to a fully qualified address (ie: \\nycxp...\c$\program files...) instead of directly to the local directory (ie: c:\program files\...) even if the network address points back to the local drive then the speed will be significantly degredaded due to its journey over the network. Fortunately the apps I was testing pointed directly to the local drive but I picked up on the perf hit during testing... one step to 28sec versus 7sec!