any good book for beginners?

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a good book on database design that takes a practical approach and explains data modeling concepts with the help of good examples?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hamzaali
    Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a good book on database design that takes a practical approach and explains data modeling concepts with the help of good examples?

Thanks.
    Sure.

Practical Issues in Database Management: A Reference for the Thinking Practitioner
    Fabian Pascal

Paperback, May 2000
    Publisher: Pearson Education
    ISBN: 0201485559

I wouldn't even consider recommending any book by Fabian Pascal for a beginner, the concepts and presentation will at best confuse them and more likely his writing style will put a beginner off so badly that they just abandon the idea of data modeling altogether.

If I knew a bit more about what Hamzaali wanted in terms of data modeling (background, goals, etc) I could probably suggest a good book, but without more information I'm a bit handicapped.

-PatP

I wouldn't even consider recommending any book by Fabian Pascal for a beginner, the concepts and presentation will at best confuse them and more likely his writing style will put a beginner off so badly that they just abandon the idea of data modeling altogether.
    He can always come back here with questions.

after reading a book by fabian, there will be no further questions
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thomas Bruce wrote a good book on IDEF1X data modeling. It was one of the few books, which when lost in a move, I bought again.

I think I saw that book at Borders last time I was there. I bought a C# book instead. Next time I'll look for that one again. Looks like The New Rules of Weightlifting gets bumped down the list again.

Here's a good site for beginners: Data Modeling 101

if we're gonna recommend sites as well as books, my vote is for: Introduction to Data Modeling
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL