Unanswered: How can I make drop-down menus with multiple choices w/ Access2003?

Hello everyone,
    I have little experience with computers and I'm trying to create a database for a women's information centre for a small town, where I'll have records of all the associations relevant for women around the area.
    Probably about 1,000 records overall only so I want a simple database.
    But I have this huge problem.
    Women will have to be able to make queries online (the database will be put on a website) according to the kind of information they require too.

So for instance one service may offer poor mothers help by:
    having a night-time creche
    having a second-hand clothes market
    organizing free computer courses

So I need to store information about this service so that somewhere, on a drop down menu (??), I could choose that this service would be relevant to those looking for any of these "TYPE OF INFORMATION":

- Children care
    - Clothing
    - Education: computer courses

but right now, all I can see is the LookUp Wizard is only a selection of ONE voice from a drop-down menu that i created in another form..
    That's not good enough..

So does anyone know what I could do to be able to select multiple voices with access 2003 ?

Thank you!

Try a list box rather than a combo box and set the Multi Select property to either Simple or Extened (for a description click in the property and hit F1).

Thank you Rogue!
    That was already very helpful, at least I know it can be done.
    Now I looked everywhere for a LIST BOX button and on my ACCESS 2003 for DUMMIES (VERY helpful by the way), I only find it described when they talk about creating Forms.

So by any chance, do you know if I can find that button also on the Datasheet View that I am using now, cause I can't find it there!

They ask me what DATA TYPE to use and there's no LIST BOX there, so I dont know where to get there.
    Otherwise, I'll read the chapter on creating Forms and then it should be easy to do that as you described.

So thank you a lot for now!

You can't use a list box on a datasheet view. You'll want to use a form to display your data anyway. As a general rule your users should interact with forms and reports, not with tables and queries.

RIght, that makes sense. I was just about to study the chapter on how to create forms anyway, but I was hoping I wouldn't need to since the only user of the database will be me.
    I'm the one who has to insert ALL the data in there, then women will just use a query on a website.. That is if I'm able to place the final database there!

Anyway, thanks a lot. I'll start reading that chapter now and remember your advice when I get to creating List boxes.

bye for now

What will you be using as the GUI on the website?

List Box and GUI

First of all.. I did it!!
    I read the chapter on creating Forms, followed the steps and remembered your advice (which isn't written anywhere on the Dumb book, so I might point this out to them and tell them to add your tip!) so now I have my cool list box with multiple choices I can select.

Thank you VERy much for that!

Now as for what kind of GUI I'll be using..
    Errmm..
    I have no idea what you're talking about...
    So I'll appreciate any suggestions there..

lily

GUI = graphic user interface

I haven't done any Access db's for the web, but I think you're better off using Data Access Pages rather than forms. You also may need to make sure that your site host is set up for Access.

Some of the other folks here may be able to give you more useful information. It would be worth you time to do a few searches for Access Internet Database, Data Access Pages, and variations before you spend time on stuff that may not work on the internet.

Rats, lol..
    Well, in the Dummies book here they have a whole chapter dedicate to designing Data Access pages..
    But I thought I first had to work with Forms/Datasheet to enter all my records and then worry about making Data Access pages, but you are saying that I should start with Data Access page in the first place, right?

Well, I'll go read that chapter then now but I'm starting to have dreams about Database pages at night, I"m not joking!

Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time to give good advice!
    You saved me more than a day's (unpaid) work

Ok, if I have more questions I'll try to ask you first or then I'll just post it in the forum as you suggested.

bye now

Quote Originally Posted by database_virgin
    Well, in the Dummies book here they have a whole chapter dedicate to designing Data Access pages..
    But I thought I first had to work with Forms/Datasheet to enter all my records and then worry about making Data Access pages, but you are saying that I should start with Data Access page in the first place, right?
    I think what rogue is getting at is just that it's a good idea to do some research to get an idea on what you're getting yourself into before lunging head first. As one who is also self-taught, I can say that I could have saved a lot of time on my projects just by sitting down and doing some reading on dB fundamentals before ever touching a computer. There's some articles out there with some very good words of wisdom.
    But I could be wrong in interpreting Rogue...

Well, I'll go read that chapter then now but I'm starting to have dreams about Database pages at night, I"m not joking!
    No worries, you're not alone on that one
    Me.Geek = True

Well, I AM reading the whole huge ACCESS 2003 for DUMMIES before even touching the computer. SO far I created a few tables and inserted a few data in each, just so I can see how things work before inserting all the rest.

I even tried switching to Mysql but I found that 10 times more difficult to understand so I gave up on that one!

So, right now the most important thing I need to figure out is to move one of my tables onto my website and I'm learning how to turn tables into Data Access Pages but the computer doesn't let me do it. When I click Ok to save it in .mdb the PC says "you dont have read access to the page or the file is inexistent" (or something like that).. What am I doing wrong? Any advice?

And someone told me that you just actually need to put a certain string into your website, which links directly to the database, that easy, has anyone heard of that method ?
    I'm not sure what they meant, to me they were speaking Arabic for 3 minutes and I just nodded at the end in fear they may ask me to repeat!!

well, anyway, if anyone can shed some light on this, it'd be very appreciated.
    Thank you

Lily

Well, I AM reading the whole huge ACCESS 2003 for DUMMIES before even touching the computer. SO far I created a few tables and inserted a few data in each, just so I can see how things work before inserting all the rest.

I even tried switching to Mysql but I found that 10 times more difficult to understand so I gave up on that one!

So, right now the most important thing I need to figure out is to move one of my tables onto my website and I'm learning how to turn tables into Data Access Pages but the computer doesn't let me do it. When I click Ok to save it in .mdb the PC says "you dont have read access to the page or the file is inexistent" (or something like that).. What am I doing wrong? Any advice?

And someone told me that you just actually need to put a certain string into your website, which links directly to the database, that easy, has anyone heard of that method ?
    I'm not sure what they meant, to me they were speaking Arabic for 3 minutes and I just nodded at the end in fear they may ask me to repeat!!

well, anyway, if anyone can shed some light on this, it'd be very appreciated.
    Thank you

Lily

While you're working on tables, I would suggest reading Paul Litwen's article about database design, very good. It's a bit of a read, but it'll save you headaches later on from non-normalized dB.
    I think what they were referring to is an SQL string. For help on that, I would go to Martin Green's site; he has some articles there about Access and SQL (parts 1-6) that would help you out I think. His articles are also very readable and helpful, so I'd peruse the rest of the site as well.

As for trying to get this onto a website, I'll let others with more experience in that help you along.
    Last edited by nckdryr; 07-17-07 at 09:52.
    Me.Geek = True