Unanswered: Create 2nd Oracle Home

Hello,

I'm a newbie and my first time posting a message in a DBA forum.
    Anyways, hope you gurus can help me with my situation.
    Our project need to create a second Oracle Home in AIX for backup purposes. Currently, the oracle version is 9.2.0.8. I have already gone through the documents in installing Oracle9i. My dilemma now is what type of installation I should perform. I understand that I have to specify a different name for the oracle home so the current home will not be affected through the course of my installation.However, I am not sure if this is true. Im afraid some existing files will be overwritten in which I wouldn't want to happen. One instance is the Inventory directory.If i chose to go with Enterprise Edition, will this be affected? If custom, what are the components I should select? Please note that we will be only installing the software. As soon as the second oracle home has been created, the databases will later be mounted to this path.

Also,since after the installation, the version of oracle home will be 9.2.0.1. How can I apply the required patches to make it to 9.2.0.8 without the need to apply all the patches all through the way?Is there an easier way for this?

Thank you all in advance. I would appreciate a lot your feedback on this matter.

Sincerely,
    Mishtry

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Our project need to create a second Oracle Home in AIX for backup purposes
    I see what you said, but I don't understand the need and/or the advantage of the 2nd Oracle software tree.
    Depending upon long term objectives, a simple solution is to tar up $ORACLE_HOME & then untar it to a new directory.
    If so, then no patching would be required.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

yeah.thats true,however, we also want to install some of the features of Oracle9i software such as Enterprise Manager that are not currently set up in the server..or so we think.Still,hopefull you can still provide me answers on my first option in case we proceed with it

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Pick a new folder, do the V9.2.0.1 install, apply the V9.2.0.8 patch & enjoy.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

does it mean i dont have to install patches from v9.2.0.2 to v9.2.0.7?

In general Oracle patchsets are cumulative so you don't have to apply the intermediate patchsets unless specified by the documentation. Check out the release notes that accompany the patchset before applying it.