Unanswered: Learning Microsoft's Implementation of SQL

Hi All,

I have Oracle 9i personal edition on my laptop which I use to learn Oracle/SQL including creating and quering tables. With this I have been able to go into jobs confident with being able to query Enterprise implementations of Oracle in a commercial environment.

Now I would like to learn Microsoft/SQL and I was wondering whether Microsoft's SQL Server 2005 Express will be enough for me to learn MS/SQL like Oracle personal edition has.

Regards,

Seaweed

yes, it will
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 1
    A piece of advice when moving from Oracle SQL to SQL Server SQL:
    In Oracle, you practically have to use a cursor to sneeze. In SQL Server, if you are using a cursor (or any type of loop) you are most likely doing something wrong. Commit yourself to NOT writing any SQL Server cursors for three months while you make the transition.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    To build on the comments provided by r937 and blindman, you can certainly learn how to use SQL Server 2005 using the Express edition. For about $50 you can purchase the Developer Edition, and I would very strongly suggest that you do that simply to get the additional tools and documentation that are included.

As blindman pointed out, in Oracle you need to use a cursor to do almost anything of practical value... In SQL Server, if you are using a cursor, then odds are good that you have probably already made more than one design error because of the difference in the SQL engine implementation between Oracle and SQL Server.

In order to attract more opinions, suggestions, and (hopefully worthwhile) comments to your question I'm going to move this thread to the DBForums SQL Server forum.

-PatP

I'd just like to add that one thing that MS consistently does right is their oustanding documentation, especially when it comes to languages and APIs. SQL Server's documentation is very readable and cross-referenced.

BTW, SQL Server's implementation of SQL is known as TransactSQL. It might also be helpful to know that the network protocol is known as Tabular Data Stream (TDS) and that SQL Server was originally based on Sybase. Some langauges (Perl, for one) have a Sybase driver that also works with SQL Server.

Thank you all for your tips and advice.

I've installed SQL Express on my laptop to 'play' around with. At first sight it seems easier and user friendly than Oracle 9i Home.

Regards,

Seaweed

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    To build on the comments provided by r937 and blindman, you can certainly learn how to use SQL Server 2005 using the Express edition. For about $50 you can purchase the Developer Edition, and I would very strongly suggest that you do that simply to get the additional tools and documentation that are included.
    Pat - would it be correct that you also need a concurrent production license of SQL Server too though? So this is not an option for the hobbyist....
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

that would be strange - MS wants to encourage developers to write apps that support SQL Server (and thus encourage adoption).

it would be lame if you could only get a dev license if you have a $$$ license as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    that would be strange - MS wants to encourage developers to write apps that support SQL Server (and thus encourage adoption).

it would be lame if you could only get a dev license if you have a $$$ license as well.
    Which is, as I understand it, what express is there for. Developer, again AFAIK, is there as an extremely inexpensive option for a decent spec development environment for those with production installations who need that bit more than express can offer .
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Which is, as I understand it, what express is there for. Developer, again AFAIK, is there as an extremely inexpensive option for a decent spec development environment for those with production installations who need that bit more than express can offer & full .
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Which is, as I understand it, what express is there for. Developer, again AFAIK, is there as an extremely inexpensive option for a decent spec development environment for those with production installations who need that bit more than express can offer & .
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Which is, as I understand it, what express is there for. Developer, again AFAIK, is there as an extremely inexpensive option for a decent spec development environment for those with production installations who need that bit more than express can offer & full tools.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

ok, ok, i got it! no need to tell me 4 times.

my feeling is that express is there for users with moderate needs, to try to get them hooked on sql server.

developer is there for devs to write apps against, apps that might be targeted for the enterprise sku. that's why it's fully featured.