Unanswered: InStr and Trim functions

Does anyone have any sites or hints on how to use InStr and Trim functions? I've looked at the Microsoft site and their information is fairly basic. I am having difficulty with trimming from one character to another. I know it is just a learning issue but I'm having trouble finding examples or information.

In the code module, place your cursor in the word InStr or Trim, and press F1; the help file should give all the particulars for a given function. Give it a try, and let us know if you need more...
    Me.Geek = True

What does 'trimming from one character to another' mean? If you have
    Code:
     "   Hello, how are you?   "
    and you want
    Code:
    "Hello,howareyou?"
    there's no such VBA/Access function. Trim() will give you
    Code:
    "Hello, how are you?"
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Landy
    If you have
    Code:
     "   Hello, how are you?   "
    and you want
    Code:
    "Hello,howareyou?"
    there's no such VBA/Access function.
    Why not
    Code:
    Replace("   Hello, how are you?   "," ","")
    ?
    Me.Geek = True

Nick,

I never heard of Replace() before. However, it seems from the Help file that it would work as you say.

I stand corrected.

Sam

Learn something new everyday, eh?

But back to the OP, have we helped you at all yet katsen, or do you have follow up question(s)?
    Me.Geek = True

Learn something new everyday, eh?
    And how!

Sam

I appreciate the information. I was actually looking for examples to use in the design query, I'm just not good enough at the VB/module aspect. I wanted to learn how to use a TRIM function with an InStr function to trim say up to a comma, and then trim everything after a comma. For example: Trim(Mid([fieldname],InStr(1,[fieldname],":")+1,InStr(InStr(1,[fieldname],":")+1,[fieldname],":")-InStr(1,[fieldname],":")-6))

I seem to have issues when I use other characters other than a comma and wanted to 'understand' the process. Maybe there are just some characters that do not work correctly, like "=" always gives me a compile error.

Provided Answers: 59
    thats a dangerous approach unless you know your data will always have the required character in it, and the original string will allways have characters in it. otherwise there is a risk that the function may truncate all characters, or cause a run time error.

it may be smarter to put such logic into function that handles the error trapping gracefully.

you need to fully get to grips with waht the help system says about the various sting manipulation functions such as left$,right$,mid$,instr etc...
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton