Smile Unanswered: Country / City combo box

Hi
    My name is Dana and this is my first post here .
    I am a DB newbie , i started to teach my self MS Access with a small project as a start .
    I made a simple client data table where there are country and city fields + phone , fax , etc etc ... .
    I made 2 tables 1 for the countries and 1 for the cities .
    I know that it is a very familiar question
    How can we do the following
    when you select a country in the client table , only cities of this country show up in the city combo box .
    I found some answers here and there , but as a newbie , the codes where difficult to understand .
    I attached my source file and i will be thankful if someone could help and to give me a simple explanation of the codes concept .
    I just want to add the codes in the table not in a form , i found some answers by adding codes to a Form . Because as i know i can export only tables and queries to sql.

Thank you very much
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 10
    Aha!
    A very similar question can be found here.

I uploaded an attachment in that thread that should hopefully be what you want!
    IF you have any questions about it please feel free to post back here
    George
    Home | Blog

Thank you very Georgev much for your reply.
    I will read the topic right now in details .
    But i noticed after opening the attached file one thing , that the result is done in a Form , can we do the same in a table ?
    I ask because i will export all the tables and the query later to Mysql and as i know i can export only tables and queries not forms.
    so can the same concept works on tables , i mean can we add the codes in the clients table?
    Thank you very much for your time

Welcome to the forums btw Dana!

Quote Originally Posted by dana71
    But i noticed after opening the attached file one thing , that the result is done in a Form , can we do the same in a table ?
    I ask because i will export all the tables and the query later to Mysql and as i know i can export only tables and queries not forms.
    so can the same concept works on tables , i mean can we add the codes in the clients table?
    If you save the data to your table, why would you need to export the code? The code should just allow the user to easily select which data to put into the table, then the data should be there and should be exported with the table right? (I haven't actually looked at your example dB george, so correct me if I'm wrong on this, your engagedness).
    Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 19
    The concept you're talking about is called Cascading Comboboxes, and no, you cannot add a combobox to a table! The truth of the matter is that data entry and manipulation should never be done using the table directly! Even if all you do is use the Forms Wizard to create the form, that's how you should do your data entry!

And as has already been stated, if you use the comboboxes to enter the data in your form, and hence to your table, you can then export the data to MySQL!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007