Unanswered: Migrating SQL from NT4.0 to AD

I am very new to SQL so please bear with me. I have an SQL 2000 server running on Windows 2000 server in an NT4.0 Domain. We are planning to migrate (not upgrade!) everything to a new WIndows 2003 AD environment using ADMT. I wanted to know if there are any issues with the migration of an SQL server if we are to move forward with this strategy. I have heard that an SQL database keeps domain related information within its database and wanted to know if this is true.

Thank you

Provided Answers: 6
    if you are moving to a new domain, any security accounts within sql that use windows authentication and the applications\users that use those accounts are not going to be able connect to sql server anymore.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

thanks for the fast reply. So in reality, if I remove the SQL server from the domain and join it to the AD domain, reassign the permissions to the databases, it should be fine?

What i've heard is that the netbios name of the domain is embedded within the database and there's no way to get rid of that. Is this true?

Provided Answers: 11
    Are you renaming the server as well? The server must know its own name, if that is what you are talking about. Changing the server's name was difficult in the 6.5 days, but it is much easier, now.

No we are not planning on renaming the server name. That will remain the same.

Provided Answers: 11
    Then you should have no problems with the server name. You will have problems with
    1) Service accounts
    2) SQL Agent Jobs that need to touch things outside of SQL Server
    3) Windows Accounts defined in SQL Server.

You may be cleaning up security problems for a while, but overall, y ou should be fine.