Unanswered: copy in progress.... wont go any further

I'm trying to copy a set of records manually from one database to another. I've done this loads of times with no problem, but recently when I do Ctrl-C (or choose Edit, Copy) I get a message in the status bar saying Copy in progress.., with a progress bar that never goes beyond the first blue bar, no matter how long I leave it. It happens whether I try to copy hundreds of records or just one.

How can I get round this?

Provided Answers: 7
    MMMMMMM dont know

how many records you try to copy

What I did when this happen is do a mk table and point that to the other database
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

A Ctrl-C or Edit, Copy sends information to the clipboard so I'm wondering if something hasn't happened with the way your clipboard works (assuming that it's the same in other programs when you do a Ctrl-C. You may want to search the web on "Clipboard not saving" and see if you can find anything on that. If you've installed some more startup programs maybe your free memory has decreased so it can't copy as many records as it used to.

Other than that, if it's just MSAccess, I couldn't find anything in the option for the Ctrl-C or Edit, Copy but maybe there's some setting that's not correct.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 10
    It may be the standard helpdesk answer but have you tried restarting your machine? Sounds like you need to flush the clipboard and start again (and I don't know how to do that manually )
    George
    Home | Blog

Thanks for your suggestions.

I've now noticed that it won't copy in Word either, so I guess it's a clipboard problem rather than an Access one, although it does seem to be Access that starts it. If I close down all copies of access, I can copy in Word fine, but with Access 97 & 2k open, no copying in anything.

It happens even when copying one record, and after rebooting my pc.

I remember this happened to me years ago (I "think" it had something to do with having 2 versions of MSAccess on my machine) but I'll be danged if I can remember what I did for a solution (it may have gone away when I re-installed just 1 version of MSAccess so I didn't really hardcode a mental note of it in my mind).

The thing is I've had two versions installed for years and it's always copied before.

I've narrowed it down now, copy/paste works fine until I add a 34th field into the table I want to copy from. Then as soon as I chooseto copy a record, copy/paste stops working in every office app until I close access down again. The 34th field can be anything, yes/no, text etc. If I don't add this field, I can copy/paste in access and word as i wish.

I've repaired the database but it makes not difference. Any more theories?
    Last edited by smartpicture; 07-14-07 at 14:54.

You mentioned you had 2 different versions of MSAccess. I suppose it doesn't matter which version you get into. In the Tools->Options for MSAccess under the Advanced tab, I'm guessing it also says Access 2000 for default file format (not that it would matter as I'm trying to remeber what the problem stemmed from that I had.) I'm guessing it also doesn't matter what database you get into. I'm trying desperately to recall but I can't remember if it was one of the options I changed for MSAccess or not but you may want to look at these and see if it's possibly one of these settings (which kind of makes sense.)

When you view the table and you click Edit, there is a selection for Office Clipboard. Have you researched anything on this? There is a Clear All button in the wizard on the right when you select this option.

Are you using linked tables? Again, not that it matters but I'm stabbing in the dark.....(damn. Wish I could remember what it was years ago.) The table your copying and pasting doesn't have an OLE object fields/Images either I guess? What about references (again, stabbing in the dark...). I wonder if the data in the table might be formatted to a different font and that's causing a problem.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 07-14-07 at 15:30.