Unanswered: Help--New at Crystal Reports

I am using CR 8.5 and have never used CR before July--working as an intern for a company this summer and trying to sum an amount within some records.

I have 2 group headers where:
    GH1 is the area I wish the sum of cubic dimensions of all items contained within the box
    GH2 is the area where I have the master carton data displayed

Presently, I have the number of each sku on the order * the cubic dimensions to extend out in GH2 correctly; however, when I try to do a running total, summary, or another formula to sum the extended values to GH1, the result is some value (and I don't know where it is coming from).

So, I know this example is a bit vague due to the complication of the data and headers, but is there anyone that can give me some help?

Thanks.

Running Totals sounds like the way to go, but need to see how you are doing it currently. Can you post the formula you are using, or are you using the Crystal wizard to build the RT?

Do you calculate the volume on the detail line? What would happen if you inserted a simple sum of the volume?

When you say you are getting some unexpected value, is it way too small, way too big, a simple multiplier of the result you wanted? Have you got links leading to one-to-many joins that leads to the multiplier?

Caspar

I have attached a screen print (design and preview) of the problem I am having--in addition, I have defined some of the fields below:
    The cont # = the container number (sort group)
    The Pkt Ctrl is the order control number = a customer's unique order, one Pkt Ctrl can be assigned to many cont #
    The Cont = actual container (corrugated box) used to ship the products attached to the cont #
    The Cont IDV = internal cubic dimensions of the container
    The SKU ODV = sum of the external cubic dimensions of all products within the cont
    The Vol Diff = Cont IDV - SKU ODV
    The Cont Wt = the actual gross shipping weight of the container with products added

The first and second cont # is absolutely correct...all fields pull the correct data and calcuate as required. but the subsequent ones seem to duplicate the data. For example, cont # 39330547 only has two unique SKU inside with order amounts of 3 units and 6 units. The data should reflect 3 units @ 59.00 + 6 units @ 21.74 = ~307.44 (close due to rounding).

The four databases which are linked are all equal joins...I have heard of these different kinds of links, but don't understand.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 17 08.54.gif   ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 17 09.09.gif   ScreenHunter_04 Jul. 17 09.19.gif  

The screen shots are a great help, thanks.

I think it is a linking issue.

For cont # 39330547 the report is showing the two quantities of 3 and 6 twice with two different Cont IDV being repeated against each.

This suggests that the link you have put between the table containing CDPAKU and the table containing PDUNVL is insufficient because it does not bring back a one-to-one relationship. Therefore I think you need another link between either tables CDCART00 and CHCART00 or between CHCART00 and PDPICK00. I cannot tell which fields you need to join together - you must use your own instincts based on understanding of the field meanings and contents.

If the above sounds difficult then I can make some further suggestions, but hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

Regards,
    Caspar