Question Unanswered: Wrong Charactors

hi,

I have made a report using cr 8.5 to display the information in an MS Access qry. Its index is text field, goes like 001,002,003 and soon and i have used the charactor "'" single quote to have it in the query('0001' '0002' and so)

the problem is when i open the report it shows some random numbers that changes every time i refresh the data, but the actual data didnt.this occurs only in the index field and other fields are fine.

How can i resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Shifan

Are you saying you are displaying the index field and that this field appears as unexpected numbers?

Is the Crystal report causing the MS Access query to refresh and thus increment the index field?

If you try to format the displayed index field in Crystal, does it offer the "Number" choice? In other words does Crystal see that field as numeric or text?

What would happen if you changed it from a text field into a numeric field in the MS Access query?

Alternatively, what would happen if you made a formula in Crystal that converted the text field into a number?

HTH
    Caspar

Thank you Caspar,

I use vb to create the query, I dont know how to make it a numeric field, Even if I made it a numeric field, it will not go on with my index number 001,002,003, I think it will go like 1,2,3.

when I build the report the field cannot be formatted as text, as you have said the CR gives me only the "number" choice, no text choice.

And one more thing when i refresh the report, the random numbers change like in a random number game, all I have to do is click the refresh button.

actual size of the index field is 5, but the random numbers are displayed in 6

I dont know what to do, please help me.

Thank you

Shifan

I do not understand why you are getting random numbers or where they are coming from.

If you create a new Crystal Report using the Wizard and with no formulae or parameters or formatting or anything and no linking to anything other than your one query, and then just display the index field and a couple of other fields that are obvious to you (or maybe all fields?) - I wonder if this will bring back what you expect? If you choose ALL fields then it can be unreadable because the columns are too narrow - I use Export to Excel to be able to look at such results in more detail.

It is hard without more information to understand your problem - it sounds unexpected and very odd and I currently have no theory as to why, unless you have mistakenly picked the wrong field from your query.

Regards,
    Caspar