Unanswered: 2005 - direct modifications to systems catalogs

In 2000 there was a server level setting you could change in EM, to allow direct modifications to systems catalogs.

in 2005 I would like to update some sids in sysusers tables, do I also need to find and set this option first

my bad, I forgot you cannot make changes directly to system tables in SQL Server 2005 anymore

we're about to port our databases from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. If we can't modify directly the system tables, how are we going to proceed is log suspend on startup cases? What we usually do is to perform a bypass recovery by altering the sysdatabases table and truncating the log. Have you guys experienced this using SQL 2005?

you can restore a 2000 backup to a 2005 server - that's the easiest way to bring a db from 2000 to 2005 imo.

Can you not use sp_changeuserslogin or drop and re-create users to achieve what you need rather than modifying system tables?

actually, its not about porting the database from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 and not about changing users whatsoever; its on how to go about a log suspend database on startup that can't be recovered due to insufficient logspace.

In SQL 2005 modification to system tables is disabled, but still it is possible only by using DAC - see my blog: http://sqlserver-qa.net/blogs/tools/...t-allowed.aspx
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]