Unanswered: php installation

Hi,

I am a beginner. Can anyone please give me a tutorial guide of installation of php 5.2.3 to IIS 6.0 and the configuration in Win 2003? Thanks.

Provided Answers: 59
    try this

do a search on google
    PHP.net is pretty good

when I installed PHP on an XP box (using Apache as the server) I had a problem with the PHP MYSQL inraries that came with the PHP distribution, agaion it was documented on the web somewhere (I think PHP.NET).

basically take it step by step.

test each element, ie check you MySQL installation works before installing PHP, that way round you eliminate each potenial source of error. you can check you PHP installation by running a PHP script which contains phpinfo() that gives you a dump of the current PHP config. check for items you expect to see, check for items you don't expect to see. the phpinfo will tell you what db software it knows about.

Personally I've never touched IIS for using PHP.. is there a need to use IIS, or could you sue something like Apache. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few additional gotchas in installing PHP on IIS as Microsoft aren't going to be too keen on people using non Microsoft products/environments when in their view ASP is so much better.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

The install.txt file that comes with PHP (or the same information in the Installation section of the php manual) is the best source for installing PHP under IIS.

If I remember correctly, you do need to set the doc_root = setting in php.ini to get php to be parsed (along with the normal PHP installation tasks.) Also, pay attention to the installation steps concerning the IUSR_xxxxx user and folder/file permissions.

Make sure you add the php folder to your window's path statement (a reboot might be needed to get this to take effect.) This eliminates the need to move or copy files around to get php/extensions to work (this is true for any web server under Windows.) To get PHP to find the php.ini file under IIS, you either need to copy it to the windows folder (the path statement did not work for this to the best of my recollection) or you need to add a registry entry to point to where php.ini is actually located if you don't want to move the file.

And as already posted, if you don't need to use IIS, a better solution would be to use Apache instead.