Unanswered: A locked table while trying to delete it

Hi, I am in the process of creating a search mechanism for my database. On the results page I have a subform in datasheet view to display the actual results. This is bound to a temporary table which stores the search results, which is called "tmpResults". The table will have different columns, depending on the search which is being performed, so I delete the table and recreate it at the start of processing the results. My problem is that since the subform in datasheet view is bound to the form, it won't let me delete the table because it thinks it is locked. Here is an example of what I mean.

Code:
    Public Sub frmResults_Open
      ' Protect delete statement in case table doesn't exist
      On Error Resume Next
        CurrentProject.Connection.Execute "DROP TABLE tmpResults;"
      On Error GoTo 0

' {Insert code to create the string CREATEstr, which is an SQL create statement for tmpResults}
      CurrentProject.Connection.Execute CREATEstr

'...
    End Sub
    However the create statement does not execute, since the table already exists. Commenting out the "Resume Next" line reveals the error message:

"The database engine could not lock table `tmpResults` because it is already in use by another person or process"

Now I assume that this message is coming up because the RecordSource of the results subform is set to tmpResults. But I don't know how to get rid of this lock! Could you help me?

I would create one form to enter search criteria in. That form would be unbound, and have an "Execute Filter" command button. That would drop and recreate the table, and then open the bound subform displaying your filtered data.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Quote Originally Posted by RedNeckGeek
    I would create one form to enter search criteria in. That form would be unbound, and have an "Execute Filter" command button. That would drop and recreate the table, and then open the bound subform displaying your filtered data.
    This is exactly the setup I have got. However this doesn't really answer my question.

The way I read your question is that you have the bound subform open while trying to drop the table. I'm saying open the subform only after you've rebuilt the table.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Once I have build a temporary table, I never delete it again, but just clear the records from it, then do an append query. And of course these two operations can be done with the subform already open.

Another process would be to make the RecordSource for the subform blank until after you have rebuilt the temporary table, then reset the RecordSource to your temporary table name.

Quote Originally Posted by GolferGuy
    Once I have build a temporary table, I never delete it again, but just clear the records from it, then do an append query. And of course these two operations can be done with the subform already open.
    Hi Vic

I think the complication here are the dynamic columns.

I'm liking the recordsource solution though. Easy peasy.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks pootle! I just reread the initial post. I had missed the "The table will have different columns" That makes my first suggestion rather silly.

Quote Originally Posted by GolferGuy
    Another process would be to make the RecordSource for the subform blank until after you have rebuilt the temporary table, then reset the RecordSource to your temporary table name.
    Yep, that worked, thanks again guys!