Unanswered: Single User Mode

I have been trying with no success to start my SQL Server in single user mode and login.

Here's the scenario:

I've got a one node cluster with SQL Server 2000 installed. I changed the startup parameters of SQL Server to reflect the following:

-c
    -f
    -m

I have disabled SQL Server Agent so it doesn't start when I bring SQL Server online. But when I do bring SQL Server online, I'm not able to connect at all. I keep getting the "only one administrator can log on at one time".

There is no one else trying to log on and SQL Agent is disabled.

What is the scoop? Has anyone seen this? And if so, how did you address it? I'm trying to restore master and need to get this donesooner rather than later.

Thanks!
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."

Why you are using -m to start in single-user mode, may be the service is started already and not allowing any more connections. Check under services whether it has been started already and PERFMON MMC counters might be connected.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

For starters, I beleive -m is the right startup parameter to start SQL Server in single user mode...

and no - SQL Server is not already running. I actually stop SQL Server and then restart it. The only way to start SQL Server in single user mode is to add to your startup parameters the -m option...

Like I mentioned, it starts fine but something grabs the only connection right away..
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."

I would start the server in normal mode (non single user), then immediately run sp_who, to find out whats connected, from there you should be able to figure out whats grabbing the connection. If it's happening that quickly then I should imagine its a service of some sort.

Have you got Enterprise mangler open while you are starting in single user mode?

If you are not doing so already try and start sql server in single user mode in the command prompt, without having enterprise mangler open or Query Analyzer.

I actually figured it out...

When running SQL Server on a cluster, the cluster service has to log onto the instance to make sure it's running - and therefore Cluster Service grabs the only connection.

I started SQL Server from the command prompt and that seemed to do the trick - no problem getting into QA / EM...
    Anthony Robinson