Unanswered: Oracle extraction tools

Morning

I would be grateful if someone could advise me on purchasing a program to pull data out from our Oracle database. This database has been used for several years We have been using Developer 97 to pull data into Access tables with the Windows 2000 operating system. We have recently purchased a new computer which uses Windows XP and will be grateful if you could advise on a suitable program to use with this.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 4
    What's the purpose of moving records from Oracle to Access? What do you do once data arrive there? What makes Access better (i.e. more suitable for you) than Oracle?

I personally do not use the system but the users have always pulled out data from the oracle db maybe as there is not an application sitting on top of the DB. The data is reserach and scientific data.

In other words, there is an application in Access? If so, how come data is stored in Oracle and not in Access? How does data come to Oracle? Would it be possible to redirect that path directly into Access instead?

It's just the fact that there's always one step too much here, and I'm just trying to figure out if it could be avoided.

I've never heard of "Developer 97", but I guess you tried to install it on your new computer but it doesn't work. Did you try it?

Unfortunatelly, I don't know any other tool, but you might use ODBC and access Oracle database directly from Access (or Excel). Here is a link to the page which will show you how to establish a connection and pull data out of Oracle database. I hope it'll be helpful enough for you: Accessing Oracle via Access and Excel

Thanks for your help. I understand the data extraction using the ODBC method. I think I need more detailed information from the users themselves.
    Thanks

they use oracle forms set up in developer

Well, that's even more mysterious. If they use forms written using the Oracle Developer Suite, why, oh WHY do they want data in Access?!?