Unanswered: Which desktop database to choose Database?

Hi all,

We are developing a client side application in C# that uses a local desktop database in its operation. The application was built using FireBird database which is a small footprint file based DB. However it doesn't support 64-Bit. Seeking another options, I looked into SQLite engine. Although it seemed that it has some popularity in that domain, however it lacked some important features that we need (i.e. some SQL commands are omitted like "ALTER TABLE ADD Constraint" or "CREAT DOMAIN"). Now I am looking into MS. Access as well,. My question is there any recommendation for a desktop DB that support 64-Bit (x64 machines), has good technical support, .NET implementation and has low administration over head. Any advice?

Cheers

Have you looked at SQLExpress edition whcih is free to use in thsi case, http://www.microsoft.com/sql/edition...s/default.mspx fyi.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Moving to desktop database forum.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 59
    In those circumstances Id seriously consider MySQL. It fullfills all of those criteria.. its scaleable, it runs on 32 & 64 bit OS's, it doesn't have the cost implications of SQL server, or the limitations of SQL server express.

there are sufficient tools out there to support it in the field.

its pretty good on ANSI/ISO SQL compliance.. its aint perfect, but no SQL product is.

it supports triggers & stored procedures (at least V5 on does.....)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the replies.. I have looked into SQL Express. However we are more concerned about the distributions file size (35 MB to 80 MB), since our application is downloadable from the web.

I have also looked into Access, but it is not clear to me yet it supports 64-Bit development or not.

MySQL seems to be a decent solution that we should consider. Does it have a good .NET interface/driver? How about the distribution file size? Any link would be helpful .

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.. I have looked into SQL Express. However we are more concerned about the distributions file size (35 MB to 80 MB), since our application is downloadable from the web.

I have also looked into Access, but it is not clear to me yet it supports 64-Bit development or not.

MySQL seems to be a decent solution that we should consider. Does it have a good .NET interface/driver? How about the distribution file size? Any link would be helpful .

Cheers

a .net client api for mysql is called Connector/NET and is available here:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/5.0.html

a quick google for "64 bit database small footprint" turns up your post on the microsoft forums yesterday as the #1 result

shows you how clever and up-to-date google is, eh

the other results contain some actual products, e.g.
    http://www.mcobject.com/extremedbfamily.shtml
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Google rocks lol.

ExtremeDb is an In-Memory Db, we have ruined out that direction before

I wonder if anybody has an expraince using MS Access in 64-Bit enviroment. Does it actually work?

There is a new member of the eXtremeDB product family; eXtremeDB Fusion, which is so named because it fuses in-memory and on-disk database storage modality. In a single database definition, you can designate some tables (classes) as being in-memory and others as being on-disk (cached, of course, like any other on-disk DBMS, but writes are written through the cache to persistent storage). eXtremeDB Fusion also offers different transaction logging policies (UNDO and REDO) that you can select from according to your application requirements, available memory, etc.

It is available in 32- and 64-bit versions, with SQL, and with High Availability.

whoa, that's fabulous, that's the first database i've heard of that has modalities

i'm not sure i like the idea of my memory being fused to my hard disk, though
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

The full distribution of PostgreSQL is a bit over 20 MB. If you want to customize it, it could be pared down considerably. In addition, it's truly free, for any application, commercial or private. And, it's probably the most ANSI compliant of any database.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert