Unanswered: SQL Server 2005 Express

Is it possible to have multiple companies' (using groups, schemas, or instances or whatever) data stored on one SQL Server 2005 Express system? I would like Co_A, Co_B, and Co_C to all have the same tx, gl, ap, and ar databases. I want to be able to connect my front end client to one company's data at a time for testing purposes? Is this possible, or must/can it even be done in the non express version of SQL Server?

I tried creating a new registered server using MSSQL Server management studio express, but it is not running. I don't know if I just have to create a service for it to get it running. I also tried creating server groups, but I cannot seem to put databases into those. The online help has been pretty useless so far.

John M Reynolds
    Last edited by jmrSudbury; 07-25-07 at 11:50.

Yes you can have installed them as a different named instances if you want to keep the connectivity different, if not create them as a different database.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ex...g/default.aspx tutorial in learning about SQLExpress.
    For your error ensure that service has been started or not.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Thanks for the reply Satya. I tried something on a whim and found out that I can run through the SQL Server 2005 Express install program once for each client to create their own set of databases. It automatically used mssql.1, mssql.2, mssql.3, ... data folders -- a new one for each client. I set a different port so I could connect over a network while specifying which client data I wanted by choosing the right port. I got that idea from the MySQL work I did a couple years ago. I was having trouble connecting, but one of the videos available at your link helped me track down the one setting I was missing of the 10 or so that have to be set in various locations.
    John M Reynolds