Question Unanswered: Enterprise manager

This may seem like a simple question to those that have experience setting up Enterprise manager....

I've looked through several books and documentation and am still not completely sure I'm understanding what the form is asking me to enter.

I'm trying to set up the Enterprise manager for 8i. I'd like to be able to schedule imports of excel files, exports to text files and procedures to run on the existing tables of the database.

When I attempt to open the Enterprise manager, it asks me to define at least one management server. Exactly what information should I enter? the server name? Can it be the same server where the database lives? What are the pros/cons, variables that determine a management server? Am I making this harder than necessary?

Is there a secret place to find the documentation that explains the specific criteria for a management server?

Thanks in advance

West Palm Beach, FL

You need to install/configure the Oracle Management Server

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

I had gathered that much from the information that I'd found. You helped to direct me to the appropriate documentation.

thank you very much.

I'm still hoping that someone can offer considerations as to the options available... but I also realize that I may be asking too much from the limited information I've provided.

You've pointed me in the right direction.